The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Albino/PEW Genotypes

2 posters

Go down

Albino/PEW Genotypes Empty Albino/PEW Genotypes

Post by ApachePatch Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:21 am

Hello. I am quite new to mice (having been in the world of gerbils) and was wondering whether the genetic descriptions were the same for albinos/PEW and Himalayan colouring.

Basically, the Burmese and Siamese (in gerbils) are genetically black mice just with different colourpoint genes lightening the original black. However, the PEW (for gerbils don't have true albinos) could be ANY colour gerbil who happens to have the pink eye and c-recessive colourpoint genes together. These 2 gens just bleach out the effect of all the other genes.

So, for example, I have a PEW who has the genes of a ginger coloured self gerbil with red eyes, but add the colourpoint and she displays as pure white. So I can still breed her for her ginger genes.

So what I am asking is if a mouse could genetically be a Dove for example, but as it also has 2 colourpoint genes (c and/or ch) it has gone white? OR do your PEW mice have set genotypes like the Siamese and Burmese?

ApachePatch
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Albino/PEW Genotypes Empty Re: Albino/PEW Genotypes

Post by [Dino] Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:34 pm

PEW mice can have various genotypes. Their are 4 c-dilute alleles in the fancy; c, c^h, c^ch and c^e, c/c being a true albino. All other c-dilutes in combination with the pink eyed gene will be PEW. Also an overly marked pied/variegated/banded/etc can be all white.

[Dino]
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

http://dino-s-wonderful-creatures.webnode.nl

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum