What should I do.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What should I do.

Post by lunalady on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:59 am

I have pet mice. 2 bucks and 2 does and one the pet store wasn't sure of. I keep the odd one with the bucks. Well, cleaning today I realize it is a doe that is now pregnant. I put her in with the other females. She is young. The other does are young too. They have never been pregnant. Will the other females bother her and the babies. Should I keep her in that tank or give her a separate tank??

lunalady
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Re: What should I do.

Post by tinyhartmouseries on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:38 am

It would be wisest to separate her into her own tank to give birth. The other females may steal or even eat her babies! You don't know this mouse well or her line, and better safe then sorry when it comes to baby meeps.
tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Post by Zia on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:04 am

I agree with Tinyhart. I never use a nanny personally. I know some people do, but usually it's a mouse out of their tracked lines who they are very familiar with. To me, the risk does not outweigh the benefits.

Even being young, she should still be ok.
Zia
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:47 am

Yep, separating is best. I have had 4-5 week old get pregnant and give birth just fine. Not intentionally, of course! Give her plenty of quality food and extra protein and fat to support her growing belly and to keep her well.

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

what should I do

Post by lunalady on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:58 pm

Ok, Putting her in her own tank. Thanks for the information. Soo Should always separate pregnant mice for safety reasons. What are good foods to feed pregnant moms.?

lunalady
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:21 pm

I am by no means an expert, but I'll give this a shot based on experience I had with my first litter:

Pregnant mice should be separated unless you intend to use a nanny mouse. Nanny mice should really only be used if you are familiar with the lineage of your mice and can trust that the nanny won't eat or steal the babies.

I had my pregnant girl on Mazuri pellets, scrambled egg, Orijen and Wellness Core dog food, oatmeal, pasta, and the occasional craisen or raisen for a snack. She ended up giving me five fat healthy babies, so I can say that this variety worked for me. Happy

If I'm wrong about any of this, please feel free to correct me!
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

http://www.ctpetsitter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:30 pm

It takes a lot of experiences breeding to decide when it is okay to leave 2 mice together to litter. Happy

Usually, the two mice need to be related, or friend from a very early age. You need to know their personalities, and it usually helps if both mice have previously had litters.

That said, it is a rare occasion that anyone will leave does together to litter, because the chances of them having a problem are still high.

Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by lunalady on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:45 pm

Do I cook the pasta and the oatmeal.

lunalady
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:00 pm

I gave it to them raw. I don't think it matters.
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

http://www.ctpetsitter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:04 pm

Doganddisc is right, it doesn't matter. Happy

I prefer to give it to them raw, because cooked pasta is sticky and can get bedding and poop stuck to it, as well as can collect bacteria if they are not eaten soon.
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:07 pm

I use them raw. You can cook them too, but they can spoil after a bit. It's just a personal preference thing. If you pick up any left overs, you'll be fine, but mine love them raw. It also helps their teeth and provides enrichment.

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lunalady on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:09 am

I put here in a 5 gallon tank. She is happy and re-arranging everything. LOL Thanks for the diet to give her. She will be spoiled, Of Course.

Last edited by lunalady on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : left out a word)

lunalady
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum