The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you cull and euthanize mice??

+11
Frizzle
snukb
thistlebrook
GypsyTails
Mrs. Beach
Lycrisa
tinyhartmouseries
kawmice
doganddisc
Rhasputin
lunalady
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How do you cull and euthanize mice?? - Page 2 Empty Re: How do you cull and euthanize mice??

Post by kawmice Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:51 am

hahaha!!!

I have lots of stray cats in my neighborhood and yard. The dogs pretty much keep the cats out but the neighbor let the cats in their yard. I like the cats though - they leave everyone alone. The big orange one taunts the dogs though sometimes, but that is all. I believe they are all fixed since I hardly ever see kittens around. My new neighborhood is really animal friendly. EVERYONE has dogs or cats. lol
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

How do you cull and euthanize mice?? - Page 2 Empty Re: How do you cull and euthanize mice??

Post by GypsyTails Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:12 pm

Yeah, the cats here aren't so friendly and they do a lot of annoying "damage"- vomit on my porch and deck, poop in the flower beds (I hate the smell), use the window screens they can reach as scratching posts and spray the bushes outside my windows. I had them open the other day since it was so nice out and the son-of-a-gun sprayed in between the holly bush and the open window! It was nasty! There's a "cat house" in the neighborhood behind us and this person just puts paper plates of food out for cats. Their back yard is trashed- no grass, cat houses and paper plates EVERYWHERE. It's an upscale neighborhood too, like $200,000+ a house.

One was trying to get into the mouse room when I had the windows open down there too. I can't leave them unattended or the nasty thing will jump and grab the screen with his claws! I thought this house would be heaven for owning mice, but I don't feel comfortable even bringing them on the decks for photo shoots because of the nasty cats. I can't even plant a garden like I wanted, because I'm afraid of getting a disease when they use it as a litter box. I'll get to have a tomatoes and other stuff like that up on the top deck, but that's it. Poor me and poor mice!

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:33 pm

Oh wow. Hmmm..... There MAY be a few products that can help. Hopefully. I believe one is called boundry. It is suposed to keep cats away. I will look into it for you. I would definately hate the cats as well if they did all that to me. Soooo sorry to hear all that!

And Casey- would common white mice from the petstore do ok for your deminstration? I could get a few next time I go and get Draco his mice. Which will be this week So no break in QT.
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by snukb Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:25 pm

@GypsyTails: bury some chicken wire a half inch or so beneath the soil. The plants will still be able to grow through it, but the cats HATE the feel of scratching the wire (obviously). So they will avoid using that area for waste elimination. There are also plants you can grow (Coleus canina is called the "scaredy cat plant" and is considered a natural repellant) and motion activated sprinklers (since as we all know cats hate water).

Myself? I like cats, so I just planted them their own cat garden away from my other plants and they leave them alone. They'd rather go roll in the catnip than poop in my tomatoes any day.
snukb
snukb
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:39 pm

Great ideas! Happy
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Frizzle Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:25 pm

I've been freezing pinkies, stunning fuzzies and hoppers, and anything small adult and larger, I have a friend come over and we have a "killing party" where we use plastic bags and cement steps. Joking is my personal coping mechanism, and having a friend help makes it so I can't put it off. I've been culling younger though, so we haven't had a get together in a while.

I was worried that it wouldn't work, so the first few times I brought the bodies out and held them in my hands. There was this all over quivering, but the mice were limp, eyes open, and there was no heart beat or breathing. So I feel pretty good about this method, it gives me a little distance from the killing, and seems pretty efficient and instantaneous.

Hey Rhas, have you considered taping your CD demo? For those of us who can't make it, I think it would be really valuable to put up somewhere here.
Frizzle
Frizzle
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:07 pm

I posted a video that my friend Marina made doing CD, it's just sometimes more helpful to see it in person. Thought if someone wanted to film it I wouldn't be opposed.
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Frizzle Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:24 pm

Yeah, I saw you posted that one, I was thinking a full body one might be nice. Show how you set up, how you stand, maybe talk a little about what you're doing?
Frizzle
Frizzle
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenni Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:27 pm

I used to do CD, but as my hands have gotten worse, I didn't feel comfortable doing it any more. I use a CO2 chamber now. Pinkies get thumped on the concrete floor. I don't freeze till everything is deceased.

Jenni
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:08 am

Hey Casey- do you want me to bring a few pet store pew mice? I have to get Draco his mice on thursday and I could pick some up then. Let Me know
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:24 am

Sure that would be helpful. Last time someone just happened to have a mouse with them, who didn't sell, and needed to be culled anyway, and it just sort of came up because of a lack of cage space. I don't think we'll randomly have that happen again, so bringing a few feeder mice would be helpful.
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:45 am

Great! How many should I pick up?
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by onceuponamousery Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:49 am

I don't have the heart to cull myself, it bothers me too much! I bought a ferret just for culling and it worked out great, not all ferrets have that instinct, I'm a person who hates blood etc and it's the quickest death, takes him literally a second, one bite and that's it, there isn't a mess either unless I leave it in there for him to eat. With a baby on the way we were hoping to not have to keep the ferrets since they are more work too and take up space, but I thought you can use a co2 chamber for all ages, if that isn't so I guess we are stuck keeping the ferrets. We have 2 ferrets but the one doesn't do anything to the mice, she is just his friend so he isn't lonely. How long does the co2 take to work and how long does the freezing take for babies? Up to what age do you not put them in the co2?
We are keeping a few of our favorite males we decided as pets and are going to breed them only once a year, so I know we will still have to cull even though it won't be that often!
Thank you Mouse

onceuponamousery
Hopper
Hopper

http://reginanjacobsmousehouse.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:28 am

Putting pinkies in the freezer isn't really a humane method of culling. The best, most effective way, if to flick them on the skull very hard. It completely crushes their skull and does enough brain damage they they are instantly dead.

CO2 works on everything 4 weeks + very well. It takes about 1-2 minutes per batch. After about 30 seconds, the mice will pass out, given a very low dosage of CO2, and once they've passed out, you put a full on dosage, and the mice should die in their sleep.

Do you give live adult mice to your ferret, or only babies?
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:17 pm

Rhasputin wrote:I posted a video that my friend Marina made doing CD, it's just sometimes more helpful to see it in person. Thought if someone wanted to film it I wouldn't be opposed.

Where did you post it? Would like to see.
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://mrsbeachsbrindleempire.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:37 pm

Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by WindyHill Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Great thread! Very helpful
WindyHill
WindyHill
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by mouselover01 Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:50 pm

I could probably bring one or two to be culled. Maybe I'll bring a video camera so we can make an instructional video as well, for the UMC website.
mouselover01
mouselover01
Co-founder / Admin
Co-founder / Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by onceuponamousery Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:59 pm

Do you give live adult mice to your ferret, or only babies? [/quote]

Thank you very much Rhasputin, that is really helpful. Our ferret did any age, one bite at the neck and that was it, it takes literally a second every time, there wasn't ever any mistakes and the mice never had a chance to bite or get away. When he would bite them there wasn't even a mark. If it would have been torturous I wouldn't do it! But I just would rather home the ferrets to have less cleaning and work w the baby coming, they are very messy and stinky!

I forgot to add, we prefer to feed our ferrets mice also because after a lot of research in the past I found that their is a lot of controversy about ferret food not being enough for them, I read a ferret forum where a lot of owners fed their ferrets live, it's really good for them and we only wanted what was best for them.

Last edited by onceuponamousery on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total

onceuponamousery
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by mouselover01 Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:01 pm

Are you homing any of your cats? My boyfriend loved that one or two of your kitties!
mouselover01
mouselover01
Co-founder / Admin
Co-founder / Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by onceuponamousery Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:50 am

mouselover01 wrote:Are you homing any of your cats? My boyfriend loved that one or two of your kitties!

We don't plan on it! When the baby comes if our British short hair bothers the child, she likes to bite and attack fingers lol, then she might have to go. Of course if any of them were putting our child in harm we would have to put our child first but we love our cats and have had them for yrs and do not want to have to home them ever, cats are Jay and I's favorite animal, we would have more if we didn't have problems w ones in the past fighting and spraying etc!

onceuponamousery
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:16 am

Cats are great! lol, I have many.
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2