How do I start a youth rodent club?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How do I start a youth rodent club?

Post by pygmypuff on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:39 am

Im the teen leader for a 4-H club for pocket pets and I have several people interested in joining a club just for rodents. They said that they are interested in showing, but cant afford the cost of traveling and getting a show quality rodent (mouse, hamster, rat, etc.) Is there any way to start a club when these kids dont have quality animals? I was thinking it could be more of a youth club, and the animals would be judged more on condition and temperament. Dose that sound reasonable? I have several people who would be willing to judge, but how would I train them? Would I have to write up the standards? Any suggestions would be appreciated,

~Leo

pygmypuff
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Re: How do I start a youth rodent club?

Post by doganddisc on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:43 am

I would think that you could get them quality animals somehow. The thing is, most 4-Hers end up with semi-quality animals of any species when they show either because a breeder is willing to donate to them or because that is just part of the challenge of showing in 4-H (though, if I remember correctly, much of the judging was based on how the handler was with the animal as well as the conformation of the animal). I would see if you can search out a local breeder willing to supply these kids with some breeding stock. Are you going to Rodent Fest? Maybe somebody here would be willing to help?

Obviously they wouldn't be looking for anything super high quality, but I do believe the most important part of 4-H is teaching a young adult how to responsibly acquire and handle live animals. Asking them to go to a pet store for that would seem a bit backwards Happy
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

http://www.ctpetsitter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pygmypuff on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:29 pm

Sadly, I will not be going to rodent fest this year. We are in south carolina where there are no rodent breeders or clubs or shows. I know there are some breeders in Georgia where the kids who are interested in mice can get some, but for those who want hamsters, I dont know what to tell them. My school gave me some hamsters to study their genetics, but that is all I have.

Any suggestions on getting other rodents or putting shows together?

pygmypuff
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top