The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouse house!

+2
kawmice
Whurmy
6 posters

Go down

Mouse house! Empty Mouse house!

Post by Whurmy Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:35 pm

I tried to make a little platform house out of craft sticks, but that didn't go well. o.o I made a solid wall, a solid platform, and a wall with a window. Elmer's glue was not strong enough to hold the platforms together, though. Sad

So! I got either a little less or a little more creative, and made this! :3

Mouse house! Picture_009_1__by_whurmy-d4tbokg

I'm pretty proud of it, quite honestly. :') Two sticks were shortened a bit and glued onto the roof, with enough of the stick poking out to hold the ladder in place. The window wall was glued to the Kleenex box for a little more fun than just one big window. The platform on the bottom was a suggestion from my mom so the mouse doesn't knock the box over. Which I can't see happening, but I wasn't gonna argue with her. She's the one paying for the cage and supplies at first, after all.

I've decided that I'll be getting a single buck. Happy I'm in touch with two breeders and someone on craigslist who just happens to have a litter of brindles, but my mom doesn't want to drive up to the first breeder, the second breeder hasn't responded yet, and neither has the brindle litter owner. :') If all else fails, I'll just pick up a Petco mouse. Which I really don't want to do, I want a socialized mouse. Which my mom doesn't understand, but she's sort of hard headed. :x

Anyways! I'll be getting my cage in about two weeks and my mouse just a day or two after that, and this thread will be updated with his whole mousie mansion. But I thought I'd share his homemade main abode now. Wink
Whurmy
Whurmy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Mouse house! Empty Re: Mouse house!

Post by kawmice Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:52 pm

Lol. Good job! Good luck with the mouse hunt. Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble.
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:53 pm

Oh- I would use hot glue. It will hold so much better!
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleSniffs Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:58 pm

kawmice wrote:Oh- I would use hot glue. It will hold so much better!

My son makes mouses boxes for ours to play in. I just took pictures of his new box and he uses a hot glue gun for everything and it holds up pretty well.

I will try to get them uploaded to show you!
LittleSniffs
LittleSniffs
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:08 am

I love making Popsicle houses. . . sometimes I just sit down and do it all day. Lonely
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Whurmy Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:35 am

Thank you! Happy I can't wait to get his whole cage set up. :3 I'm thinking about bird toys to hang from the top of the cage, but I also plan on having toilet paper rolls and a silent spinner in there, and I don't want the cage too look too busy and messy.

Do you guys think it'll be a good idea to have ripped up toilet paper strewn about for him to burrow in, or will Carefresh bedding take care of all his burrowing needs?

I would love to see your houses, guys! :3 Get some ideas from you and everything, then maybe I can talk my mom into letting me use a stronger glue. :3

Hahaha, Rasputin. It's okay. I had so much fun doing it, my girlfriend kept making fun of me for being almost eighteen and having so much doing arts and crafts. :')
Whurmy
Whurmy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by snukb Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:29 am

Looks great! Cheer

That kleenex box would last about two days with my little woodchipper.
snukb
snukb
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleSniffs Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:18 am

We have a couple bird toys. Petco has one thats a ball with a bell in the middle, get a little annoying at night, but they LOVE it. The ball has holes in it so they can climb thru too, some love to sit in the ball and just take in what goes on below! LOL
LittleSniffs
LittleSniffs
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Whurmy Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:22 am

Lol, hopefully my boy doesn't demolish it THAT quickly. :')

Really? :') I will look into that, because that sounds precious. I can't wait to start setting up his home. Happy
Whurmy
Whurmy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleSniffs Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:58 am

Whurmy wrote:Lol, hopefully my boy doesn't demolish it THAT quickly. :')

Really? :') I will look into that, because that sounds precious. I can't wait to start setting up his home. Happy

Yea they are $10 each but worth it. Walmart also had plastic ones that birds use to sit on for a $1 too. And we found just a ball at another pet store and got the metal holders they use for dog tags to put that one up since the bell gets annoying at night lol. If your on facebook let me know, I have TONS of pictures on there of our mice! LOL
LittleSniffs
LittleSniffs
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleSniffs Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:09 am

OK I got some pictures that I took uploaded, this is his new 'play house' as he calls it. It's not 100% done tho, he goes over it a few times to make sure everything is glued down good.

Bridge, he cut cardboard and put string thru it to connect it
Mouse house! Picture045

Here is the whole box with ladders and the tp bridge (Mrs. Beach's idea we got from her site). The mice LOVE this. Altho everything we put in the cage gets destroyed in a few hours. Again we used to metal dog tag holders, they don't chew on them but do seem to like climbing on them.

Mouse house! Picture044
LittleSniffs
LittleSniffs
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Whurmy Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:18 am

That is the most elaborate little mouse house I've ever seen.

I feel like mine's a one bedroom step up in the city and yours is a whole colony of houses in Brazil. (See movie Rio for examples. tongue)

It sucks that you build that and they tear it apart so quickly. :C
Whurmy
Whurmy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleSniffs Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:55 pm

Yes I agree! LOL He is almost 13 and builds all sort of stuff, now the mice get to use it so I don't mind getting him supplies, where before it just got sat to the side and then thrown out. He's came up with a set up where he uses duck tape so we can wipe it off and also hot glues everything down so it don't come up. That is why I said it wasn't done, it sometimes takes 6 rolls of duck tape for one box LOL. But they LOVE getting in it and running around and climbing on stuff.
LittleSniffs
LittleSniffs
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by inkeduptara Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:48 pm

Very cool!!!

inkeduptara
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by snukb Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:17 pm

LittleSniffs wrote:We have a couple bird toys. Petco has one thats a ball with a bell in the middle, get a little annoying at night, but they LOVE it. The ball has holes in it so they can climb thru too, some love to sit in the ball and just take in what goes on below! LOL
The rubber ball with the bell in the middle? They don't chew the rubber?
snukb
snukb
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleSniffs Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:53 pm

snukb wrote:
LittleSniffs wrote:We have a couple bird toys. Petco has one thats a ball with a bell in the middle, get a little annoying at night, but they LOVE it. The ball has holes in it so they can climb thru too, some love to sit in the ball and just take in what goes on below! LOL
The rubber ball with the bell in the middle? They don't chew the rubber?

No, I only had it in during the day when we first got it and even now when I check it, they don't chew on it at all. Weird huh?? LOL
LittleSniffs
LittleSniffs
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down