Hermaphrodites

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hermaphrodites

Post by GypsyTails on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:01 pm

Does anyone have any experience with hermaphrodites? I seem to be having them pop up all of a sudden, in different lines even.

First Hermaphrodite: from GYPT Area 51 x ZIA Mr. Creepy. Champagne or RY Piebald Fuzzy Hairless. In all appearance, this mouse appeared to be female. Complete with nipples, smaller space between anus and genital opening and no aggressive behavior, i.e. not chasing and mounting females after weaning. As "she" matured, a bulge appeared below her anus. At first, I thought something was wrong with her but after a bit you could tell what it was. They are not fully retractable now like most males scrotums, however. So: nipples like a female, small space between genitals and anus like a female, somewhat pronounced testicles like a male. "It" has NOT gotten any does pregnant.

Second Hermaphrodite: from GYPT Middle Bit x GYPT Unknown Ivory Buck (Doe was impregnated by her 4 week old son, so I'm not sure which one is was since she had 3). Ivory Piebald Standard. Same as the above mouse. Three does in a small colony of four mice were impregnated. I thought it was by my escapee PEW who was running around, but when I was separating the heavily pregnant does to litter, I noticed the fourth "doe" was sporting a little wrinkle under "her" bum. Upon examination, I realized "she" had man bits. They are not fully external it seems. When relaxed, you can only make out one slight testicle. So: nipples like a female, small space between genitals and anus like a female, testicles like a male. "It" has gotten 3 does pregnant.

This last one I'm not sure about because no nipples are involved. LOL!

Third (Possible) Hermaphrodite?: from GYPT Bagel x GYPT Thunder. Poorly marked Black Tricolor. At 5 weeks of age, this mouse has NO nipples but has a SMALL space between genitals and anus. "It" also has no testicles yet. The other 2 hermaphrodites didn't drop any man bits until several months of age, so I suppose this could happen with the latest baby. However, there are no nipples!

So I have 2 mice with nipples and small spacing like a doe, who developed testicles later in their "teen years". Has anyone seen a hermaphrodite with no nipples like a buck, but has a small spacing and no man bits like a doe? Can hermaphrodites go both ways?

I need to know who to group this little guy/girl with! Sibling does or sibling brother? Any experience on the subject or ideas?

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Re: Hermaphrodites

Post by Mrs. Beach on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:54 pm

Rhasputin knows a lot about herms. I know that herms are usually infertile, so who to live with is not such a big question. You'd need to test your herm with someone, first, just to make sure. Herms make great companions for solitary bucks. The bucks mount them, but they never get pregnant. My Puddles, the herm, has been living with Thurl, a buck, for almost a year, now. They are a beautiful, happy couple. If you don't want to keep your herms, you could sell them at RF as buck companions. Good for OCD-scratcher bucks.
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://mrsbeachsbrindleempire.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:05 pm

Herms are always infertile. That is what I was always told. I never had one though. lol

Ann is right though - If you have an excess amount of them I am sure people at the fest will be interrested in them. They make excellant companions for other bucks.

Now I do know that herms can be very genetic. If a line carries them, there is a higher potential for them popping up in the lines. It is weird that they are popping up in different lines. Now that is a head scratcher......

If you are unsure what to do with your weird herm... I would place "it" with the boys. It is better to have one pregnant "doe" then have many pregnant does.

Maybe they are late bloomers??? I know in cats and dogs sometimes a testicle can be inside and still be productive. Usually one only testicle is stuck inside and becomes "non active" and has to be removed. Maybe you have a mouse who had a testicle get stuck comming out?? Possible - not I have never heard of it happening on mice.

It is a puzzle.... lol
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:29 pm

I do seem to get a freak mouse, now and again!

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:37 pm

I can't say I've ever had a herm here!
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Lycrisa on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:41 am

I have had a few. Not recently but I had them pop up in my black line all the time. Some could actually reproduce but they didn't do it nearly as often or as reliable as the normal mice.
I've had males with nipples and non-specific herms too like you described.
They always seems to be more laid back too.
Lycrisa
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails on Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:12 am

Good to know I'm not the only one with nipples and testes on the same mouse! I am surprised I didn't have mystery babies sooner. The herm and the three does are almost 5 months old and have been together since weaning. lol.

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice on Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:37 am

lol - wow...... thanks for the info.... Maybe they are a new strain of herms??!! lol I have never had one and can only go by what was told to me.
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:52 pm

So far, just one has been involved with having offspring. Thankfully!

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum