Odo-Ban Around Pets Warning

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Odo-Ban Around Pets Warning

Post by GypsyTails on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:21 pm

I came across links to some people who have had issues with the prolonged use of Odo-Ban cleaner, air freshener & disinfectant around their different animals. It's my day to hold down the fort at work, and I am bored as bored can be.

Lemme back track a bit. I have always used dish liquid and/or bleach when it comes to cleaning and disinfecting all things mouse related. A while back I found Odo-Ban and its many number of uses for around the house. It's great for eliminating animal odors AND repels ants and spiders too. I have kept it from direct contact with the mice, though I have used it on bins that still smelled "bucky" after washing. Of course, I rinsed, dried and stored those bins until the following week when I needed them. I've also used it to repel insects in the basement, careful not to spray it in the same room as the mice. I always sprayed it onto a napkin or towel in the other room, and then wiped down the window sills, shelving and/or door frames in the mouse room where spiders had congregated and made webs.

I've had a couple of "issues" that puzzled me over the past several months. I had 2 seizures and a couple of perfectly healthy studs who just started looking off and whose urine became EXTREMELY bright yellow and nasty. I thought maybe it was related to the spider problem, but I never found any bites on those 4 mice who I did euthanize. The other spider bite victims, including myself, had bites which swelled, popped or drained and then eventually ulcerated. You definitely couldn't miss the mice that were bitten. I thought maybe these 4 mice had just had a different reaction than the other spider bitten mice, especially since it was happening around higher spider "break outs" when multiple animals were being bitten already. Then I realized I was using the Odo-Ban during those higher spider "break outs". I am wondering if its use, even though highly diluted, was the culprit.

I found some other mentions of Odo-Ban being used with animals and the negative results. I wanted to make a note of it, in case others used it in their home, to watch for any symptoms that defied immediate explanation.

http://catiators.ocicat.com/odobanwarning.htm is one documentation. I'm getting more together. My PC at work is giving me Hell with posting links and such. I think it's possessed. tongue

The reproductive health issues mentioned are what worry me the most. Even if the 4 mouse deaths had nothing to do with the use of Odo-Ban, the lasting effects of repeated exposure make me nervous. It will no longer be used around my home outside of the bathrooms upstairs perhaps, if that even. It's dangerous if ingested even in a small amount, so no more use in our kitchen or on anything mouse food comes into contact with, including mouse toys and houses that they can chew at any time. If you Google it, you have to scroll past the first couple of pages to get to any negative reviews, but they're there! So much for all the positive pet testimonials!

Alternate suggestions if you do currently use it:
Odor elimination- vinegar and water
Spider repellent- white vinegar and coconut oil, or natural orange oil in vinegar and water
Buck pee cutter for super stinky and/or greasy bins even after washing- vinegar, baking soda and elbow grease

I really wish they'd stop marketing pet safe products when they aren't really pet safe. Jerks.

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Re: Odo-Ban Around Pets Warning

Post by Love2read on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:20 am

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses and it grieves me that companies list their products as animal-safe and our poor babies are the ones who have to pay the price. Sad

I just went through this same issue when I used Scott-Free Botanical Disinfecting Wipes as well, so I feel your pain. It's so hard to lose babies and not know why, only to find out later that it was something that could have been so easily prevented. No
Love2read
Hopper
Hopper

http://www.justforfuzzies.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice on Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:15 am

oh wow....... I am soooooo sorry!! That is horrible! I will definately put that on my "do not use ever" list. Thanks for sharing!
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by thistlebrook on Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:51 am

Thanks for the heads up. I am a fan of Odo-Ban but will discontinue use so as not to put myself or my animals at risk. THANK YOU!
thistlebrook
Hopper
Hopper

http://tbr.thistlebrook.net

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails on Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:15 pm

I really liked the product too. It cut grease and freshened the air in bathrooms and the kitchen. I think they should have a warning to not use on porous surfaces like wood and plastic. It actually says not to reuse the container it comes in! So why then would you tell people you can use it on plastic? 98% of its ingredients aren't even listed, yet there's a big "pet approved" paw print on the bottle! It says not to get on skin, yet tells you to put it in your laundry! It says not to use on food surfaces, but it's ok to use on pet used surfaces! It makes no sense!

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin on Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:24 pm

Wow! Hypocritical much there odo-ban!
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down