The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quarantine discussion (Split from QT announcement)

4 posters

Go down

Quarantine discussion (Split from QT announcement) Empty Quarantine discussion (Split from QT announcement)

Post by Stina Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:02 pm

You aren't even supposed to HAVE any new litters...not just not bring youngsters under 4 weeks...

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Quarantine discussion (Split from QT announcement) Empty Re: Quarantine discussion (Split from QT announcement)

Post by GypsyTails Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:24 pm

Eek, I have one mouse who should have popped 3 days ago..... :/

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Quarantine discussion (Split from QT announcement) Empty Re: Quarantine discussion (Split from QT announcement)

Post by bethmccallister Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:23 pm

Why would having new litters born into the same environment that the parents existed in during QT be forbidden? That's got to be a mistake. I don't have any due now but if I did I guess I'd have to move them to a friends house...too weird.
bethmccallister
bethmccallister
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:41 pm

It's not a mistake. It's always been their policy...people just ignore that one.

There is a legitimate reason for it...it has something to do with things being passed to offspring through milk...but I forget the whole thing.

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:40 pm

I think it's outdated. Nobody follows that rule, honestly. tongue
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:46 pm

Nobody following it doesn't make it outdated or not a good idea.

There are diseased that can be perpetuated by breeding regularly...and that can be erradicated by not breeding for a couple months. There's a specific disease I'm thinking of...but I can't remember what it is...

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:56 pm

Well maybe there is, but how does that affect the QT of mice? Neither the mother, nor the babies can be taken to RF, so what does it matter? tongue
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:58 pm

if new youngsters pick up the infection from their mother's milk and it becomes active in them (even before presenting symptoms) it could be innadvertently passed back to the rest of the colony

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Quarantine discussion (Split from QT announcement) Empty Quarantine discussion

Post by Rhasputin Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:00 am

You'd have to let me know what you're talking about before I believe that. tongue

To imagine that a mother, would pass something to her litter (specifically, and not directly to other mice), then they'd pass that same thing on to other mice in the mousery, seems very unlikely to me.

But if it's true, it's true!
But for now, I don't buy into that.
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:10 am

You can have latent infections in adult animals (it happens in other species too....) that are not active and take a while to die off....but that can be passed to offspring in milk...babies have MUCH weaker immune systems than adults and these infections can become active again in them...and once they are active the germs can become stronger and cause new active infections in adults if they are introduced to it (either through the air, items being moved, or touching things/animals between cages).

I really wish I could remember the mouse disease I'm thinking of...but I don't even know how to search for it...lol

Regardless of what you believe may or may not be true...if one is having litters within the 4 weeks prior to RF, they are breaking the quarantine set by the organizers.

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:13 am

I've emailed the organizers asking for specification. Wink
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:18 am

I asked on the facebook page too...lol

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:20 am

Good plan!
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:24 am

Pastuerellosis can lie dormant in a does, passed to her offspring through the birthing process, become "active" in them and then be spread via mucous or whatever to other parts of a colony just by not washing your hands.....

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:24 am

Interesting!
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:26 am

I think I spelled that right. Can't Myco act similarly?

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:33 am

I don't think pastuerellosis is what I was thinking of...but I have no doubt that there are multiple things that can act in that way.

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down