Bad News :(

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bad News :(

Post by GypsyTails on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:48 pm

Well, I stopped to smell the roses and all hell broke loose! Yesterday morning my foot slipped on the top step of our porch and I fell forward, snapping my ankle and landed on my left knee, which broke. Yup, I fractured my patella (knee cap) and sprained my ankle on the other leg. The sprain shouldn't take too long to heal, but my left knee will be immobilized for 4-8 weeks depending how the fracture heals. The good news is the fracture was vertical, so my doctor said those are easier/faster to heal.

I will still be rather gimpy for a while. I am pretty sure I won't be able to make it to RF, though. At least not alone. With the gear my legs are in, I can't really drive any distance. Actually, I don't think I'm supposed to drive at all until my right foot comes out of the cast. Luckily, my office is only about 2 miles from our house, so no worries about getting to/from work once this initial swelling has stopped and I can hobble around again. I'm hoping to get back to work this Thursday.

I'm really bummed out. We may even have to cancel our vacation to New Orleans in May. It just depends on what my knee feels like doing and how fast. I don't know what to do about all the meeces who were coming up with me next week. **sigh** Once I heal up and can get out of this gear, I'd like to do a mouse train one direction or another. This really sucks! Sad

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Re: Bad News :(

Post by candycorn on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:50 pm

Oh I am so sorry to hear it! I hope you can train your mice that you reserved but I am sure everyone understands! Get better and really stay off it so it won't haunt you the rest of your life!
candycorn
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by bethmccallister on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:01 pm

Oh wow...you hurt your ankle too? That really really sucks being laid up like that, I just got out of a knee immobilizer myself...sprained ligament/tendons in the knee area...kicked a coffee table on accident (someone moved it on me and turned out the lights and I didn't see it). I kept trying to walk on it anyway but that made it worse and then when I could try to walk on it the muscles had all atrophied so that was worse in my opinion.

No worries about anything I have reserved from you, feel free to rehome them locally or whatever you need to do, I understand.

Get better soon! Will miss you so much!
bethmccallister
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:55 pm

This is such sad news GypsyTails Sad where do you live? Maybe we can figure something out?
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

http://www.ctpetsitter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin on Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:12 pm

Arghhhhh! Do you have anyone who can drive you? Boyfriend? Someone who owes you a favor? tongue
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by bethmccallister on Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:17 pm

I think it's something like 10 hours one way for Melissa to get to RF. Finding someone to do that for her would be literally impossible I would think Sad
bethmccallister
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina on Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:40 pm

unless someone else is coming from GA/FL????....

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:06 pm

MELLISSA HAS TO COME. Sad
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:41 pm

We've got to make this work. Email all your mouse friends, esp. the ones who don't come here! We've got to set up a Gypsy train! (Hey, how about a bus? I'm sure one of us would meet you at the PA end.)
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://mrsbeachsbrindleempire.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zia on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:48 pm

What are the dates that you'd be going up/coming back? There is a possibility I could drive you up, but ONLY if I can get the permission for time off. I already used time for Easter to go home, and so I'm limited on how much more I can take, if any. And there are some other concerns. I don't feel comfortable with my car making the drive, so I'd need to rent one. Also, I can't do the drive alone. I just can't. My anxiety gets so bad when I drive long distances, just thinking about it now is making me freak out a little bit.

ANOTHER concern, is Melissa, do you think you'd really be able to comfortably travel for 28+ hours round trip that weekend? That would be a big concern to me. Mice are important, but so is the health and comfort of one of our favorite mouse people.

I just know that a lot of my mice were being transported too, so I'm trying to see if I can attempt to help. I'm not able to promise anything though. I really don't have it in my budget, time or money-wise. Sad
Zia
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by tinyhartmouseries on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:40 pm

I am so sorry to hear this Melissa. Of course, feel better ASAP....eat lots of green leafy calcium! I am not upset about anything. If there's a single thing I can do, please let me know.

tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:10 am

Noooooooo!!!! I am soo sorry!!! I hope you get better soon!!! The most important thing is that you get better and heal up. If there is anything I can do just let me know. I am just too far away to pick you up. Sad

I will pm you a bit later.
**hugs**
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by m137b on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:37 pm

We'll miss you of course, but your health is much more important and there will always be a next time. Remember to take it easy, and get better soon Happy
m137b
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:29 pm

Ugh, I'm so bummed! It's the first RF in 2 & 1/2 years I can't make.

Yeah, a 28+ hour trip wouldn't be very safe, or comfortable. I can't really sit in a seat and wear a seatbelt for very long. Any long distance I would have to sit in a back seat, as my left leg is held straight by the brace/casts and I can't bend that knee at all. My mom drove me to the store today and sitting up in her front seat wasn't very enjoyable. My leg was under the dash and bumps were, well, they sucked!

Stairs suck, incline/declines suck, the bath tub sucks, cars suck. I almost broke my other leg today going out for the mail in the rain. Lol. It's really hard for me to be stuck not able to do anything when I have so much to do! I want to be in the mouse room getting ahead down there but I can't really go up and down the stairs a lot without risking more falls. It's driving me batty! I went down once to empty the dehumidifier for them and got some baby snuggles. I want to bring the litters I have upstairs, but I don't want to drive Rob as batty as I am! Haha.

Once I get the cast on the right foot off, I'll be in a much better place with mobility. Happy

I'm bummed but I'll have to deal. I'm trying to decide what to do about the "extra" mice I had been holding onto though. I have oodles of beauties! Hissy fit

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:18 pm

Sad No fun!! Is anyone going to be training anything down to you? I'm just trying to think how I can get your ratty boy to you now!

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:44 pm

No one I know would be passing through GA. I was getting a mouse or two from Beth and Mrs. Beach too. Sad

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach on Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:26 pm

Melissa, is there anyone going to RF who lives anywhere near you I can give your mice to for you to pick up later, when you're better?
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails on Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:07 pm

I don't know of anyone closer to me who's going. Sad

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:55 pm

HEY! ANYBODY LIVE REMOTELY NEAR GYPSY WHO'S GOING TO RF WHO COULD BRING HER MICE???
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by lunalady on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:55 pm

Sorry, i can imagine your disappointment. I have be dreaming of this show for 2 weeks now. This will be my first. I wish you well. Robin

lunalady
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:02 pm

It's 14 hours from me.......... grrrrrrr....... I would if I could. Sad
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:05 pm

Hey, Gypsy! Is kawmice close enough to you that if she brought your mice home from RF, some time later you could drive to her and pick them up? Kawmice, would you be agreeable to that?
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:14 pm

She's in Jersey ann....lol She's farther from Melissa than you!

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:30 pm

I think Beth and Cindy are the closest to me out of everyone I know who is going..... And they're pretty far!

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin on Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:19 pm

Yikes! I'm going to Virginia in May, maybe we can plan something?
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top