The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not naming mice?

+12
GypsyTails
SCMousery
onceuponamousery
IshkaMouse
WindyHill
seafolly
lunalady
LittleSniffs
bethmccallister
Lycrisa
kawmice
Mrs. Beach
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Not naming mice? - Page 2 Empty Re: Not naming mice?

Post by Mrs. Beach Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:38 pm

What a heartfelt response! Yes, I had people who wanted babies from my litters so I saved more babies than usual, also. I see. So, Gypsy, you must buy your mouse food in bulk. Do you feed lab blocks? If so, what kind and where and how do you get them? I am buying several bags of ME 4018 to get bulk rate and storing them in sealed trash bags inside sealed 5-gallon containers (like industrial polymers, etc., are stored in, which have to be air tight).
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://mrsbeachsbrindleempire.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:59 am

I used to order Harlan from National Pet Pharmacy, but on top of delaying my first auto-shipment (after I'd been regularly ordering from them for quite a while) for almost month they also pulled a nasty switch on me. Now they don't even have the Harlan on their site anymore, and after what they did, I now buy a another lab block until NPP or Petfood Direct changes their shipping scam. I think I have Sunseed now? The mice like it and it's around $1 a pound. It's temporary but it works for now. My Pet Supplies Plus store carries it. When I asked if they could get the Harlan for me, one employee said yes but the manager said no. Sad

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:31 pm

Hmmm. So you have a local Pet Supplies Plus store. There is one halfway to Stina's from my dad's place in PA and if I pick up there I can avoid shipping. I'm currently being supplied by Elena--getting five bags of NE 4018 in May--but I am not sure how regularly we will see each other in the future.

BTW, Gypsy, looks like the entire world except you and me is going to RF. TMC is going to be dead quiet for several days. Who else will be here, online, during RF?
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:54 pm

I know! Maybe I can get pix of all my current litters, most of whom will be weaned this weekend. Rob is going to play paintball, which is an all day thing. I've got to keep plugging away at all the chores I haven't been able to do since I broke my knee. I have quite a few mice that will be "leaving" me this weekend because I couldn't bring them up to their new homes. It's going to be sad. I may have to distract myself with the photo shoot of all the youngins who won't be too old to go to their new homes in a month or two when I can travel again. Sad On the bright side, this newest generation of young mice are pretty darn spiffy.

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:35 pm

Ann, I thought PFD wasn't that far away from your parents?... Steve and I just pick up and I generally pay about $15 or less per bag (since its usually $80 or so for 5 bags, and we also will use a 15-20% off coupon).

I thought the block that PSP sells in their bulk bins was Harlan/Native Earth? I never got actual rodent food there...but they used to have EXCELLENT sales on dog food (both the grain free I get for the dogs and corn/wheat/soy free I get for te rodents)....but I think the stores here were franchised when they did that...since they went corporate the sales haven't been as good and we get almost all of our pet food from PFD.

As far as the original post...lol That's about how it happened with me...started naming everyone then just kind of faded away from it... I don't bother training anyone their names...so it doesn't really matter to them if they have a name. I only really name those that name themselves in some way or anyone I'm taking to a show. Otherwise they just get called "love" or "baby" and the like...lol

I'll be going to RF...but since I'm only 40 min or so away anyhow I will be online friday and sat night Happy

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:37 pm

Yeah, it's a PFD store that's near you. That's what I meant. That would be my fallback. But it is so close to your house that if I'm going to drive that far, I would be happier to drive to your house and visit you and Steve and your meecers if you would be kind enough to get me four or five bags of NE 4018 for only $15 a bag once or twice a year, with plenty of advance notice.

On the other hand, my dad is in a pickle. I don't think he's going to die soon, but he may be bedridden for the rest of his life, which would then be shorter for lack of circulation, etc. I would still come visit him often, of course! It's just that when he's in a pickle I need to be right there with him and don't have time for side trips. We shall see what we shall see.
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:56 pm

I'd have no problem picking some up for you when we are picking stuff up anyway....I would def need plenty of advance though! Happy

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:20 pm

PSP told me their block in the bins was Sunseed Critter cubes. I want to get a hold of the "adult" manager and see if I can't buy a whole bulk bag of it if they can't get the Harlan for me. Anything to keep me from dealing with NPP and PFD for a while. Lol.

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:22 pm

lol.......so happy I don't have to deal with shipping....lol

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:35 pm

Stina, that would be WONDERFUL!!!! Thank you!!!!! Tell me how much advance notice you would like? I will also need to plan in advance for my schedule in having time to get out to you. Is one or two months good? (I'm getting five bags in May so you probably won't hear from me for at least eight months.) Say, does anybody here pick uneaten lab blocks out of a cage whose litter is about to be changed to be re-used? Saves a whole bunch of food. So many mice hoard them.
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:51 am

If they're not dirty, I do. The biggest "wasters" of blocks have been my single bucks. Which is why most of those are in lab cages with hoppers now!

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:36 pm

2 months should be good Happy

I usually save uneaten lab blocks if they're not dirty too Happy ....if I'm not feeling lazy anyway...lol

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:16 pm

Oh, yeah! It's a lot of work for the pennies saved, yet when you think of the trouble and hauling it takes to get more....
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:26 pm

I pick them out too (though I notice now that mice are not as organized as rats and bury them everywhere!). My buck is the worst, yes. He'll pee on his lab blocks.
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Wed May 02, 2012 3:35 am

haha! My guys always pee on them too! lol
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Wed May 02, 2012 1:30 pm

There are always a fair amount that are peed on. I am fascinated by the different ways my boys treat their lab blocks. Some leave them where they lie, some bury them, some pile them somewhere: in the corner, in their nest box, inside their igloo, in their pee corner!, etc.
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by renapopma Wed May 02, 2012 2:54 pm

Hmm. Reading the post in my iPhone. Looks like I accidently cast a stinky cheese vote. Sorry and I didn't mean it. Heh. How to reverse the process? Thanks.

renapopma
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Wed May 02, 2012 7:24 pm

RHASPUTINNNNNNN!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!! Stinky cheese reversal needed, please!
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by tinyhartmouseries Sat May 12, 2012 11:14 am

Ann! have you been helped?

For me, males usually get names...they name themselves quite often, or something strikes me for them. I don't name mice that will be leaving me, it's very hard to part with them once they have names (I love my boys)!
With does, it's rather embarrassing lately.

I don't know what's going on but I have always had a bad memory, but lately it's turning into short term memory loss. It could be "fibromyalgia fog", I am not sure. But anyway, I might name a doe and even write it in the database, and then promptly start calling her something else that sticks-there's a bit of embarrasment when I realize it wasn't right. Sometimes this frustration results in just not naming them, or naming them after their phenotype. I do not like when the females pass away without names, that's upsetting. Anyway, I try to name them but I don't feel horrible if they don't have a name, or even the right name, because everyone gets loved and cared for daily and I know who they all are....in spirit (HEY..YOU!) Happy
tinyhartmouseries
tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Sat May 12, 2012 4:17 pm

The help I am gathering from this thread is that it's OK not to name all my mice, particularly the ones I will be rehoming. I have gone the route of nicknames like Ear Notch, Split Face, and Momma. I used to rename mice with sound alikes to their nicknames, like Hipsebah for Hip Spot. But now that I have only 20 mice instead of 80 in the house, and now that I will be home a lot more than I used to because my father has passed away, I am looking forward to building better connections with ALL my mice, and hopefully there will be no more nameless bastards in the Brindle Empire.
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2