The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Identifying gender in pinkies

3 posters

Go down

Identifying gender in pinkies Empty Identifying gender in pinkies

Post by seafolly Sun May 06, 2012 11:41 am

[crossposted from FMB...because I don't think there's such thing as too much participation!]

Well, I'm fairly sure Tully is pregnant now though in the early stages. I'm half super excited, half really nervous. As you guys know I managed to convince my head and heart to be okay with culling and decided on boys. I would like to cull by Day 3 but imagine it might be quite tricky to sort the babes at such a young age as everything is tiny!

What I'm wondering is, could any of the experts post photos they have on their computers of their newborns' genitals? (wow what a ridiculous sounding question!) It'd be really, really helpful and fantastic if there could be a practice thread of identification. Say, posting a series of photos, numbered, then at the end of the post reveal what gender each pinky is? I thought this would be really useful for people like myself who are brand new to this and don't want to cull girls by accident and/or keep a few boys (or at least minimize the chance). I originally wanted to post photos for someone to ID for me but realistically I don't know how to keep track of who is who within the tiny time window I'll have, knowing people are not online all the time. So I'd rather just assume I'm on my own but want to be ready to ID correctly.

What do you guys think?
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Identifying gender in pinkies Empty Re: Identifying gender in pinkies

Post by kawmice Tue May 08, 2012 5:52 am

There was a very good website floating out there that had detailed pics and such. hmmm........ let me see if I can find the link. I am at work right now.
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Tue May 08, 2012 6:07 am

kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by Zia Tue May 08, 2012 10:09 am

I can usually tell pretty easily even on day old pinkies a fairly accurate gender count. Sometimes one will throw a gender bender, but usually my count from day 1 is correct. Basically, if the two "holes" are almost touching, it's a girl. If there is a gap, it's a boy. If you have a whole litter of girls or something, it might be an issue to tell, but as long as you have some of each gender to compare, it should be fairly simple. The gap for a boy's "holes" are about double what the gap for a girl's are.

When I was first learning to sort pinkies, I would have 3 "piles". For sure male, for sure female, and unknown. I'd do the first round, taking out the ones whose gender was easy to tell, then going back with the "unknowns" and comparing them to a known buck and a known doe. I usually would use little bowls with a little bit of the bub's bedding in them if I know it will take a while. You do have to keep them warm for this, so you can't take forever, but pinkies are a little more hardy than you think so don't stress *too* much over speed. If it seems like they are getting a little cold, just warm them in your hand. I regularly keep pinkies out of the nest for 5-10 min at a time and have never had any issues, but do let them stay snuggled in a pile if possible. I don't have to do it this way anymore, now I can just scoop them up and sort them, but this is how I knew who to cull with my first few litters.
Zia
Zia
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Tue May 08, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the links and stories of experience! I was wondering about how to actually do it without upsetting the mother (I've read to take her out of the room entirely first). It's warming up here so I hope it won't be a problem to keep them warm. Just might need to find my lovely lamp that I used from incubating duck eggs to keeping the ducklings warm.

I hadn't seen that third link - great!

There always seems to be one in a series that I get wrong but I guess I need to make peace with that. As a beginner, I'll probably get one or two wrong. Sad I just don't want to cull any girls, rather more lives than I feel I must. If anyone finds pictures kicking around over the next couple of weeks I'd love to see them. Big smile Tully's maintaining a steady weight now after a 5 g gain so I don't expect babies any time soon. Goodness knows that buck wooed her.
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down