Sudden aggression?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sudden aggression?

Post by doganddisc on Sun May 13, 2012 3:12 pm

I am currently caring for a buck that was a result of the accidental Pet Smart litter I ended up with, born on February 13 of this year. His owner is moving this summer and wanted me to look after him during that time.

These babies were heavily socialized- handled every day from three days onward. The mom is quite calm and easy to handle and I kept her daughter, also calm and easy to handle. Actually, the daughter is one of the friendliest mice I own.

Since her brother got here a week ago, however, I have not been able to handle him. I had him out on the first day and he was fine. Now, I can't even put something in his cage. He runs to my hand and bites me- HARD! He has drawn blood a few times. Even when I go to put food in his dish, he will dash over to me to attack.

I asked his owner about this and she said he has never done this before- that he is sweet as could be when he was living with her. This is her only pet and she is very animal savvy, so I'm sure she is giving him a lot of positive attention.

What could be happening here? Is it all the other males in the same room (separate tanks)? I separated him and his brother at six weeks of age but they lived in the same room for quite awhile. Now I have seven bucks in the same room, so I'm sure it stinks like buck in here to him. Or could there be a medical cause for his aggression? Anything I should be looking for?

If he were my mouse, I would cull him. But since he doesn't belong to me, I'm not sure what to do.
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

http://www.ctpetsitter.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Sudden aggression?

Post by kawmice on Sun May 13, 2012 6:22 pm

I had a very beautiful and sweet blue burn buck I bred. Him and his siblings were the sweetest mice even from day one. I decided to adopt him out to another breeder and the same thing happened. She felt that he just missed me. Maybe some mice can be one person mice like some dogs? Sorry I can't give you a real answer. I think it probably stems from stress and being home sick.
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina on Sun May 13, 2012 7:06 pm

I imagine there could be lots of reasons...it could be a learned behavior from something you didn't even notice (perhaps something accidentally caused him pain and he associated it with you), it could be the smell of other bucks, it could have started as territoriality related to being in unfamiliar territory and he learned that if he acts territorial it keeps you away, it could be related to an infection of some sort, it could be a tumor........ It's nigh on impossible to determine what the actual cause is unfortunately Sad Perhaps you could try handling him with thick gloves that he can't bite you through? That might get him to realize he can't chase you away and/or that you aren't out to get him.

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top