What colors shoud I expect?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What colors shoud I expect?

Post by SCMousery on Tue May 15, 2012 9:19 pm

I have a gold banded doe that is pregnant from a pew male that carries blue from his grandfather's side. Will I end up with agouti, black and pew, or will another color show?

SCMousery
Pinky
Pinky

http://www.silvercloudmousery.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What colors shoud I expect?

Post by candycorn on Tue May 15, 2012 9:42 pm

well....its incredibly hard to say. You will probably only get agouti and agouti banded if she is really banded and not just pied, to be honest.
First gold is not a genetic variety. Is she a satin fawn? RY? Undermarked brindle?
And since you don't know her genetic background then its very hard to say. You could get anything that they both carry in their genes.
It will be a surprise!
candycorn
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice on Tue May 15, 2012 11:33 pm

Like candycorn stated- it is hard to tell exactly what you would get. It all depends on exactly what your gold really is and what the parents carry. It will be a suprise. Happy also- it she is a true banded - banded is dominate so you should have banded as well.
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by SCMousery on Wed May 16, 2012 5:42 pm

She is a true banded. And her color is the same as the mouse's labled "Gold" on the AFRMA website here- http://www.afrma.org/miceself.htm- which is why I figured Gold was a color since she and the mouse featured on the website look exactly alike.

Another question, how recessive can a blue coat be? You see, I had bred a blue mouse to a pew a while ago and received blue, black, and agouti babies. The black and agouti were the only survivors (the one blue died since it was runty). The blue father passed shortly after the babies were a month old from old age. So later I tried breeding one of the sons to the mother to produce blue since I know mom and son carries it. (I know it's inbreeding but the mice were completely unrelated to begin with). But I didn't get any! Then after a few outcrosses I tried for blue again, and again I had no luck! So can two mice that carry blue from their grandparents have blue babies?

SCMousery
Pinky
Pinky

http://www.silvercloudmousery.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie on Wed May 16, 2012 9:29 pm

Answering your blue/recessive question:

Blue Mouse A has babies with Blue-Carrier Mouse B
A+B= Blue babies and Carrier babies, in roughly equal proportions.

Breeding Carrier son back to Carrier mother, however, only gives you a 25% chance of blue babies. You'll get one part non-carriers, two parts carriers, and one part blue.

Once we're talking about grandbabies of the original A and B, there's a 33% chance that any given non-blue grandbaby doesn't even have any genes for blue at all, and will never have blue babies, no matter who you mate them to. The other 67% will carry blue, and if mated to other carriers, will produce only 25% blue babies.

So, breeding together the grandbabies, you have only a 44% chance that both the grandbabies carry blue, which gives you a 25% chance that each baby in their litter is blue.

Your answer is yes, but it's increasingly less likely with each generation that you haven't actually seen blue.
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by candycorn on Wed May 16, 2012 10:04 pm

Unless you got her from a breeder who said she was gold...she is most likely RY.
candycorn
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie on Thu May 17, 2012 9:21 pm

I suppose what was meant by "gold isn't a color" is not that it isn't a showable variety, but that it doesn't tell us what's going on genetically. Since genetics (not visual variety) determine what kinds of babies you'll have, that's what we wanted to know. Yellow is a color that comes from several different genes, and they all work differently.
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top