Handling heavily pregnant females and the babies they make

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Handling heavily pregnant females and the babies they make

Post by jencandy on Wed May 23, 2012 11:41 am

My female, Wendy, is a day or two from giving birth. Ive mostly left her alone, as shes been going nuts building nests. Ive upped her protein, but now Im wondering a few things. 1) what should I be feeding babies when it comes time to pull them from mamas milk? And 2)when should I clean her tank? I normally clean cages 2 times a week for single mice and 3 times Anya week for groups. But I dont want to disturb her nest or stress her out so shes gone about 5 days without a cage cleaning. any other helpful hints and tips on a first litter are welcomed!

jencandy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Re: Handling heavily pregnant females and the babies they make

Post by tinyhartmouseries on Wed May 23, 2012 1:55 pm

Wow! Kudos on the cleaning! Mine get done once a week, lol.

I would just leave the mom's cage alone now and do spot cleanings. Don't do a total clean until the babies are about 2-3 weeks old. At any rate, just don't remove the actual nest part.

I start babies on the parent's food and a little seed or millet or something. It's pretty much a given that the babies will start chewing on the lab blocks right alongside mom all on their own.
tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Post by jencandy on Wed May 23, 2012 2:16 pm

Im a freak when it comes to clean cages. lol I had to tone it down, I was cleaning them all daily, but realized thats probably very unsettling to them.
I have been spot cleaning here and there, but she gets all mad and tries to take the litter back out of my hand as Im grabbing it. Lol!
So I dont need to provide babies with a liquid diet or anything? Just the regular food will be fine? I make my own food mix, and add extra protein for mamas (extra dog food, fresh fruit/veggies, etc). That should all be fine?

jencandy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by tinyhartmouseries on Wed May 23, 2012 2:48 pm

There are alot of people who give KMR soaked food or oats, but I have raised 30 litters without any sort of KMR so I think it's just a personal preference.
tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top