The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unexpected Splashed Texel Litter!

+5
thewesterngate
kawmice
GypsyTails
Love2read
Laigaie
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Unexpected Splashed Texel Litter! - Page 2 Empty Re: Unexpected Splashed Texel Litter!

Post by Laigaie Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:51 pm

Well, the two remaining aren't satin, and I think fuzzies might possibly be not for me. Naturally, all my roomies think she's the cutest thing ever.

Unexpected Splashed Texel Litter! - Page 2 Group%25204

Unexpected Splashed Texel Litter! - Page 2 Group%25205
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Unexpected Splashed Texel Litter! - Page 2 Empty Re: Unexpected Splashed Texel Litter!

Post by Love2read Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:23 am

Actually the little one looks to be a Satin Fuzzy Angora/Texel, lol.
Love2read
Love2read
Hopper
Hopper

http://www.justforfuzzies.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:58 pm

Fuzzy/Rex/Angora seems about right! Aaaaaall the coat genes! She doesn't look satin in person, though we'll see when she gets a bit more fur. Right now, she's more wrinkly skin than anything else. We've got open eyes today on the texel. Maybe tonight or tomorrow on the fuzzy.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:57 pm

You're going to have to play teacher again, if you don't mind. Big smile

There's a huge size difference there. And let me add a disclaimer saying I like all the mice living! : P I'm just curious about why she wasn't culled? Again, I'm not saying that with the underlying message of she should have been at ALL, I'm just a student learning with all these great threads. They're lovely babies.
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:48 pm

Not a bad or rude question!

There are only two left. I prefer not to leave a nursing momma mouse with fewer than three pups. Unfortunately, Bourbon decided to cull the other fuzzy, and the tri baby died on her own. Also, I believe a good chunk of the size difference is the fur. That larger baby is somewhat larger, but she's also got the thickest fur! I'm not sure if I could catch it in a photo, but you can really tell when she's in your hand just how much fluff is on that thing. Their skulls are almost exactly the same size, and both have opened their eyes. Since they're following developmentally, albeit not size-wise, and because I feel like milk production could fall off if the number of pups drops further, I'm leaving her. The fuzzy baby is actually the more active of the two, but then if I were walrus-shaped, maybe I wouldn't want to run around!
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:31 am

Whew! I fretted for a while after posting worrying it would be misinterpreted. Happy And that makes a lot of sense - I completely forgot to think of the mother/milk production. Thanks so much for explaining it! Although I managed to cull half of the first litter, I'll admittedly be looking for excuses not to do as many next time. I sometimes think back to that little runt (waste of time, I know) and wonder if I did right by her so had to ask about this little fluffernutter.
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:01 pm

I totally get it, and don't worry about offending me. You're always really polite when you ask questions, never nasty or rude.

I culled out the boys at the beginning, since I knew she'd been stressed, and didn't want her culling FOR me. If I'd had the choice... maybe I'd've kept one of the boys instead of this mixed-up buffet bar of coat types, but then it hadn't occurred to me to expect tris in the litter! I should've been looking through the pedigree harder.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:16 pm

An update, for anyone who might be interested in the little mixed-coat lady and her sister. They've been named Gimlet (the fuzzy) and Gin (the texel). Gimlet's coat settled into a very even velveteen fuzzy, possibly because the rex and the longhair have canceled eachother out.

Here they are! Sorry about the terrible photo lighting. First it's 100F, then it's pouring down rain for the first time in two months.
Unexpected Splashed Texel Litter! - Page 2 Gimlet
Unexpected Splashed Texel Litter! - Page 2 Group8
Unexpected Splashed Texel Litter! - Page 2 Gin2
Unexpected Splashed Texel Litter! - Page 2 Gimlet2
Unexpected Splashed Texel Litter! - Page 2 Gin
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:21 pm

Ack, I missed your earlier reply! Thanks so much for saying so - I know how easy it is to hear certain tones with just text so I try to be sure people know I mean well!

These two are the strangest pair of siblings I've ever seen but they're both so adorable. What a coat on Gin! And Giblet (perfect name) is probably the cutest mouse I've seen in a long time. I'm glad she grew up well!
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:41 pm

She definitely did! Her coat has only gotten longer since then. Marisa named her Gimlet, after her favorite mixed drink, once I told her that she was too small to be bred, and so would just be a pet. Of course, Marisa decided that meant I have to keep her for her. *sigh*
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:10 pm

Whoops! I was mixing up her name with a username on FMB. Not thinking today. Wink
Such a tiny girl is likely best in hands like yours! Cute as a button.
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2