Wire cages: space between bars, ventilation and odor

Go down

Wire cages: space between bars, ventilation and odor

Post by jturner on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:34 am

I have read that if the space between the bars is 1/4 inch (7mm) or less, most adult mice can not squeeze between the bars and get out. Is that true? Does the better ventilation in wire cages help reduce odor?
I'm still looking for the "best" cage. I've had three in the last two weeks and none are satisfactory.
jturner
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Re: Wire cages: space between bars, ventilation and odor

Post by kawmice on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:50 am

I use plastic bins converted or tanks. I also use 1/4 inch wire nest in the cages I build. I do not particually like completely wire cages, especially for bucks. The wire just gets peed on and requires more scrubbing. The smell can get pretty bad.

Plastic coated wire cages are more easily cleaned but I still prefer my plastic bins and tanks for the mice.
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by candycorn on Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:20 am

Yeah if anything wire cages smell worse. They pee all down teh bars. Both genders...but males in particular are horrid.
candycorn
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc on Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:40 am

I love my aquariums. They are heavy but between using them and alfalfa pellets for bedding, I have virtually no odor and no problems cleaning Happy
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

http://www.ctpetsitter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:25 pm

I also absolutely love my tanks. I get them free or really cheap, and usually only have to pay for lids and the velcro to keep the water bottles on. Anything 13" or less in height should have adequate ventilation, given the appropriate mesh lid.

Besides that, I have cats (well, I have a cat, but there are lots in my house), and the tanks they never knock over. I've lost a mouse before to a RUB being knocked off a shelf while I wasn't home.
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jturner on Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:15 pm

Our mouse resides in the living room, so I am hoping to find something for him to live in that is a little more decorative and interesting than a tank or bin. We like to hang out with him in the morning before we go to work and in the evening when we're home. Right now he's in a Habitrail Ovo and seems to like it. We can watch him and take him out without grabbing from above. I've learned how to take it apart to clean it and put it back together fairly efficiently. It's kind of weird looking, like a spaceship and I'd like to find a habitat that is more attractive. Now that the weather is getting hot, I'm worried about ventilation. Any one have any experience with the BioBubble?
jturner
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by candycorn on Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:51 pm

Yeah that thing is awful. Not enough ventilation or floorspace. Hard to clean tubes...easy to escape and chew out of. Blah.
You can decorate a 10 gallon to look amazing very easily and its easier to see your pet and watch them play.
candycorn
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice on Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:14 am

The ovo is that bad?? Crap - ordered two from the local pet store for my dwarf Hammie and gerbil. Grrrrrrrrrrr lol
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by jturner on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:39 am

For a single mouse, the Ovo seems to have enough floor space. For more than one, it might be too small. I don't have one with a lot of tubes and connectors. The wheel is attached with a very short tube and so is the water bottle area. It was initially difficult to take apart, but now I have the hang of it. My mouse seems to enjoy the layout. I haven't had any problems with escape, like I did with my first cage. I don't like the ventilation. Yesterday it was really hot and when I came home from work, I found him sleeping in the wheel and he seemed pretty lethargic compared to his usual level of activity. This morning he's back to normal. I also don't like the appearance and colors (my Ovo is pink and purple, ugh) and the plastic holds odors. I can get the odor out by soaking it once a week in a solution of water, baking soda, and vinegar. So, there are pros and cons, and I'm still considering other options.
jturner
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum