The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which is better; vanilla or Goodbye Odor?

+4
lunalady
kawmice
Peace&colby
jturner
8 posters

Go down

Which is better; vanilla or Goodbye Odor? Empty Which is better; vanilla or Goodbye Odor?

Post by jturner Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:46 am

Which is better in reducing male mouse stink, vanilla added to the drinking water or Goodbye Odor? I have the cutest male mouse; but he has the stinkiest pee of anything alive. I'm cleaning the cage thoroughly each day, using Carefresh bedding over a layer of baking soda, and once a week I'm taking the cage apart and soaking everything in vinegar and baking soda, then drying all of it and putting it back together. For the last ten days I've been using Goodbye Odor in his drinking water. I'm now up to 6 squirts per 4 ounces, which is a pretty heavy dose. The smell still makes our eyes water. When I put him back in a clean cage, it takes him about twenty minutes to stink up a 2000 square foot house. Do some male mice have stinkier pee than others? He's such a cute little dude, I want to keep him, but if I can't do something about the odor pretty soon, my husband is going to sue for divorce. Help!
jturner
jturner
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Which is better; vanilla or Goodbye Odor? Empty Re: Which is better; vanilla or Goodbye Odor?

Post by Peace&colby Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:58 am

From what I know, mice usually likes to have thing smells like themselves, so too frequent cleaning would often makes them feel insecure and scent mark more to make it 'feel like home'. I usually clean the boy's cage once or twice a week, and always left some toys unclean for them. I found that the smell isn't that bad (when compare to my buns), but it might be down to individual. Yes, not all males smell the same, even they're from the same litter. Some smell so bad while some are just a bit smellier than does.
For the vanilla and stuff, I personally never add anything to their water so I cannot say if it'd help or not.
Peace&colby
Peace&colby
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Which is better; vanilla or Goodbye Odor? Empty Re: Which is better; vanilla or Goodbye Odor?

Post by kawmice Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:22 am

I do not have a clue what the goodbye odor is so I cannot help tou with that but if it is not working I would stop it instead if upping his dose. I would use vanilla.

Your main problem is the carefresh. Even though it is great for mice I find it is not very good at controlling smells. I would switch to Aspen or maybe even alfalfa pellets like Stina uses. They are much better on smell.

Also, peace is right. Frequent cleaning is making him scent Mark even more. And when you do clean use nolvasan or natures miracle. Those smell so much better then the carefresh.
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by lunalady Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:26 pm

I wipe down the wheel,the water bottle and remove some bedding and replace with new stuff. Doing only a couple of his stinky items. Slows down his need to mark everything. My guy is not as smelly as he has been.

lunalady
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jturner Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:50 pm

Thanks for your help. I will try your suggestions and hope to save my marriage as well as keep my mouse!
jturner
jturner
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:53 pm

Good luck! Keep us posted.
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:13 pm

It is definitely the Carefresh, jdturner. When I started with mice I used Carefresh and it STUNK. Even with the girls I had- it was awful. I would highly recommend the alfalfa pellets. I have 45+ mice in my bedroom, a group of other animals, all housed on alfalfa pellets (except the guinea pigs) and the only thing I can smell is guinea pig and alfalfa.
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

http://www.ctpetsitter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jturner Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:38 pm

Where can I buy alfalfa pellets? I can't find them in any of the pet stores around here.
Thanks
jturner
jturner
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:42 pm

You can find them at feed stores- Tractor Supply Company, Agway (I believe), and any other local feed stores. I can get some for a good price at a place near me, jdturner ($15 for a 50lb bag) so if you want to arrange a trade of alfalfa pellets for food sometime, I would be happy to do so!
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by jturner Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:56 pm

Thanks. That's probably a good idea. The 40 lb. bag of the food like the stuff you gave me arrived. I have to divide it up into some smaller bags for little Furstunka (a.k.a. Stuart) and you can have the rest. I'll let you know when it's ready.
jturner
jturner
jturner
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:34 pm

If Goodbye Odor is like Marshall's Bi-Odor (or possibly it's its new trade name--based on a mushroom enzyme), then I find they both work equally well. What works _really_ well is BOTH! I do that for my super smelly boys. But I have also discovered that more than just a few drops of vanilla (like five or six) works just as well as Goodbye Odor and is waaaaayyyyy cheaper.
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://mrsbeachsbrindleempire.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jturner Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:25 am

Thanks. Yes, Goodbye Odor is the new name for Marshall's Bi-Odor.
jturner
jturner
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by jturner Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:16 am

Oh Happy Day! The alfalfa pellets are the cure. I got some at Tractor Supply yesterday, put them into a clean cage, and this morning; THE SMELL IS GONE! It's the first morning in weeks we have been able to eat breakfast without wearing respirators. Thank you Mosaic Mousery.
jturner
jturner
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:13 am

Yeah, yeah, YEAH! I am planning to go get some, soon!
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://mrsbeachsbrindleempire.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:17 am

Yay!! I'm so happy that they're working out for you! They've saved me with having windows closed and air conditioning on lately!

Also, thank Stina, as she recommended them to me Happy
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by angela316 Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:22 pm

I have 5 girls and two boys, tried the alpha pellets and still smelled badly to my hubby they are in 10 gallon tanks, girls together, boys together. I clean every other day, is it too much? also can they be housed outside in ohio? if so what is the best way to house them in for cold weather?

angela316
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:21 pm

I would strongly advise that you house your bucks separately, as adult males can and frequently do fight to the death without any kind of warning.

You cannot house outside in Ohio in the winter unless you have a very well-insulated and heated shed/garage. Indoors is a much better idea.

Every other day may be causing the extreme odor, actually. When males are cleaned frequently, they only mark more. Having their pee cleaned out so frequently may make them more intent on their efforts.

What kind of bedding are you using? Aspen flakes shouldn't let there be too much smell at the density you're working with.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by angela316 Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:48 pm

They have actually been together since birth and sleep together and get along fine, actually better than the females at times...lol
I am using alpha pellets, I will try to clean once a week only spot cleaning waste spots. I think I may try the good bye odor once I get paid

angela316
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down