The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to improve RY

4 posters

Go down

How to improve RY Empty How to improve RY

Post by [Dino] Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:02 pm

I have a chance to get some recessive yellow mice and I won't pass that opportunity! I'm from Belgium and as you might know, we only have the dominant lethal yellow gene here, the recessive one is very rare. They also lack type and a good red colour, they are still very yellow and of course not allot of people can help me on it over here.
How can I improve RY the best, so it has a nice deep red colour? I know about improving it with agouti, but I've also heard that only a RY on chocolate based gives the nicest deep red colour, is this true? And what about RY on agouti based? Could I use cinnamons to improve the colour?
So generally; what to breed it to and what not to breed it to?? tongue
(Please also feel free to correct my English if it is very bad LOL)

[Dino]
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

http://dino-s-wonderful-creatures.webnode.nl

Back to top Go down

How to improve RY Empty Re: How to improve RY

Post by tinyhartmouseries Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:30 pm

I breed/used to breed RY and you have to use chocolate with it, but never black. Of course, I used mine to help my black tans so I always get a couple sooty black-based RY pop up.
I am unfamiliar with agouti and RY together. Maybe someone else can chip in?
tinyhartmouseries
tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:03 am

You can definitely use good cinnamons to improve color. The RY I got from FL were all agouti-based, and breeding them out to blacks absolutely ruined the color. They were also used here to improve tans, so I'm not much help on that front.

In terms of what should be possible with genetics, though, cinnamons from red breeding have all the good pheomelanin modifiers (genes that make red things more red), and it's easy to tell whether they're sooty. A sooty cinnamon is immediately obvious, so you can lessen the chances of breeding in that sootiness. Cinnamon as opposed to agouti will have chocolate, so you will have a small amount of dilution. Some folks say this is the only way to counteract the sootiness. Others say this helps in the short term, but prevents you from getting the truly stunning reds. I'd argue that what helps in the short term helps in the long term, so long as you know what you've got going on genetically, and can choose to alter it later.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by [Dino] Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:47 pm

Thank you both very much for the wonderful advise! Big smile

[Dino]
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

http://dino-s-wonderful-creatures.webnode.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:19 pm

I have a little question too. Happy If the chocolate mouse has a black parent, would that be a poor choice of mouse if one were hoping to improve RY?
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:18 am

The sootiness or lack thereof on the chocolate and the amount of red in your chocolate, should be the determinants of whether they have the right modifiers to help out your RY. You should be able to see those things in the coat of a chocolate, even though you can't see them in their black parent.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:42 pm

Thank you! I think I found a breeder who's working with c dilutes and such, claiming to have chocolate, so I'll let her know what I'm looking for and hope she might have photographs of her current two litters when they fur up. They're not satin but one can only be so picky with only one contact!
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum