The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Longer haired mouse that isnt lgh or go

4 posters

Go down

Longer haired mouse that isnt lgh or go Empty Longer haired mouse that isnt lgh or go

Post by jencandy Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:21 am

Id really love to know what my little orphan has going on with his coat. Its really hard to photograph, but he has prickly hairs throughout his coat, but definitely isnt angora. Mom and Dad were both standards. Its hard to see, but try to enlarge the pics to look closely at his coat. (click to enlarge)

Longer haired mouse that isnt lgh or go Th_2012-08-21_17-56-39_774

Longer haired mouse that isnt lgh or go Th_2012-08-21_18-00-02_843

(here you can kind of see how it goes over his entire body, its just easiest to photograph it on his butt)
Longer haired mouse that isnt lgh or go Th_2012-08-21_18-00-44_679

Any thoughts?

jencandy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Longer haired mouse that isnt lgh or go Empty Re: Longer haired mouse that isnt lgh or go

Post by Love2read Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:18 am

How old is he? He could be an Angora that just hasn't grown in all of his coat yet. The Angora gene is recessive, so his parents could easily carry it. Wink

It could be that he just has a really poor Angora coat as well.

Time will tell.

Whatever he is, he's a cutie! Big smile
Love2read
Love2read
Hopper
Hopper

http://www.justforfuzzies.com

Back to top Go down

Longer haired mouse that isnt lgh or go Empty Re: Longer haired mouse that isnt lgh or go

Post by jencandy Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:59 pm

I bred primarily angoras, and test bred his dad for it, and hes not a carrier. Hes 4 weeks as of yesterday (when I took the pics) and looks nothing like my young angora girls. I dont know. Someone on ml said he looks like a standard, but Ive never had a standard with guard hairs like that. His coat just trips me out, its like he wants so badly to be special! Lol

jencandy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by jencandy Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:12 pm

I have a few angora girls that will be ready to breed in a week or two (have to check the calendar), I suppose I could do a test breeding with him.

jencandy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:06 pm

While you can confirm that a mouse is a carrier with test breeding, you can't actually rule it out. It could be that his previous litter simply didn't produce any angoras through sheer luck. Also, it can be hard to tell whether a given mouse has lgh or go, so unless you test breed to mice of opposing genes, you may not know for sure.

Also, modifiers for long guard hairs can be carried independently of lgh and go, giving a standard coated mouse a sort of ragged look to the coat. If he has lgh or go background, he could have gotten the modifiers from them, without the gene that gives the great coat along with.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jencandy Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:36 pm

Considering his dad was bred to 3 separate angora does, Im comfortable ruling it out. After long conversations with several breeders, and a conversation on a forum post on ML, I don't believe there is any evidence to support that lgh and go are actually separate genes, and several well established breeders hold the same beliefs.

I truly do not intend to sound snarky, or like I know it all. I definitely am not an expert and have no idea as to what is going on with this boys coat. Im just trying to share my thoughts, experiences, and what Ive spoken with others about, to try to help figure out what he is. I apologize in advance if I come across that way, I keep re-reading what I wrote above, but cant figure out how to rephrase it to sound less snarky, while still giving the same information. /: I really appreciate the input.

jencandy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by jencandy Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:38 pm

I definitely agree with the possibility of modifiers, however!

jencandy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by tinyhartmouseries Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:05 pm

In this case I would say that if the father isn't a carrier, the baby most certainly could not be angora. Perhaps it is just long guard hairs, or even a fluffy baby stage. I've noticed that at about 3-3.5 weeks most of my babies end up looking a bit shaggy.
tinyhartmouseries
tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down