The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Near Buffalo or Detroit?

5 posters

Go down

Near Buffalo or Detroit? Empty Near Buffalo or Detroit?

Post by seafolly Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:49 pm

Hello again!

It seems quite likely that I will be in the States in late April. Specifically, Florida, though I'm uncertain of the city I think it will be Orlando. Do we happen to have connections to breeders in Florida? Or due north?

A couple of friends and I would like to drive down and I think that would be a wonderful and easier way to bring some mice back to Ontario, Canada. Rather than flying, I mean. Happy

I'm loving my satin mice but to add texel and/or tricolour would be a dream come true! By that stage I would likely have some long haired satins available but they're just pet store quality. Ever so slowly improving over time. I realize no one's likely interested in my mice but it would seem rude not to at least offer. Happy

Last edited by seafolly on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Near Buffalo or Detroit? Empty Re: Near Buffalo or Detroit?

Post by Mrs. Beach Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:06 pm

Great idea to drive! My geography is not what it should be. What states would you be passing through?
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://mrsbeachsbrindleempire.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:15 pm

You should be passing through Connecticut! I would be more than happy to have mice for you!
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

http://www.ctpetsitter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:16 pm

I have tri-color and texel Wink
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

http://www.ctpetsitter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:19 pm

And when would your trip be? If it's after RF (April 27th), people might have less available. If it's before RF, people need to know so they can reserve things for you.
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:56 pm

Oh gosh. I'm fairly sure it'll be last week in April. Unfortunately I'm merely tagging along and don't know dates or the route yet but oh my goodness I would be THRILLED to pick up a couple. The second I know I'll log back on here. Happy

My line is looking rather grim right now. I bought a LHS buck from a feeder bin out of desperation (not sure I wish to inbreed a second time with unknown lineage) but he's looking quite poorly despite being full of vigour last night in the store. Cross your fingers for me!

And thank you so much for your encouraging and helpful replies! Big smile
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:47 am

Also hoping to hear about your route and timing! There are a few breeders in FL, though they haven't been as active lately. You should be able to find them on FMB if they're anywhere.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:54 pm

Still waiting on the driver to sort it out! With RF right there, I expect pickings will be slim so I'm braced. Wink A really good pet-type buck and doe is all I'm really after - show stock would be wasted on me with nowhere to show or spread the lines.

FMB is sadly quite dead these days in terms of experienced mouse breeder postings. I think moustress is the only regular experienced one! I often wonder where you all went. Happy
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:17 pm

Any particular colors, patterns, or coat types you'd like?
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Well we're closer to a time window! Between April 18th and May 4th I will likely be driving through the States to/from Florida. I should have exact dates in the next couple of days. Of course...RF. *sigh*

I was actually hoping you guys might advise me on what I should choose. Happy I'd be really excited by texel integrated into my satin line. In terms of colour, I think I should pick something I can maintain (that we don't already have) by reasonably safe inbreeding. aka mice that have known lines. One must assume I can't introduce new blood easily given I was sifting through a feeder bin a week ago. I personally have beige or bone (I'll know soon after another litter I think), blue genes, and RY. In the feeder bin I've seen black, argente, and mock chocolate. (I have a mock chocolate buck but I don't believe he's healthy enough to breed) Floating around the province I'm aware of tan but it doesn't interest me. I'd love a tricolour line but know it's not exactly good to have with texel.

seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:32 pm

RF IS actually on your way to Florida!

Look, y'all are going to want to get on US interstate route 95 going south eventually because it's the big, fast road that goes to Florida. RF is only a 46-minute detour from your route to 95 south!

If from Toronto you cut over to Syracuse and then take US interstate out 81 south, you will go right past RF and could go to it with a small detour. Leesport, PA, where RF is held, is 46 minutes from the intersection of routes 81 and 61/895, the road that takes you to Leesport. Saturday, April 27, 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. After RF you could get back on route 81, merge onto US interstate route 76 to Harrisubrg, get onto US interstate route 83 south to the Baltimore Beltway (695), and from there get on 95 going south to Florida.

Your tricolor line could be separate from your texel line, you know. That's what a line is. Separate. Mice with just those genes, selectively bred for the best.

Why not try to bring back genes not readily available at home? Then you could sit around and scheme what to do with them or share them with other mouse breeders if there are any near you.

I've got the parents of a future litter of 25% tricolor together now, but just think of what you could get at RF!

Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Lycrisa Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:01 am

Have you any access to splash?
I may have a few available.
They aren't show type yet but they are on the way.
I'm not sure what they all carry but it could possibly help you diversify.

Lycrisa
Lycrisa
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:29 pm

RF sure is a real possibility now. I believe we will be departing from Toronto on the 27th! I'll keep you posted as I hear more. Happy The dates I heard last night was April 27-May 4.

No splash that I am aware of! Is there a Facebook contact to figure out the consolidated list of available mice? Assuming I pick up at RF, I really would need to limit to two or so given the mice will be on the road and in Florida for a week or so. In terms of stress on them, it makes me a bit nervous!

I appreciate everyone's help! Happy
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:04 pm

Search for "RF" and "RodentFest" here for breeders' available lists. Mine's not up yet. Still trying to get the parents to mate!
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:06 pm

Thanks! Big smile Gosh there are lots.

This plan is slowly evolving. It seems driving is no longer an option as the main driver begins her clinical placement (she's a nurse) the day after the vacation ends. However, we would drive to Buffalo or Detroit to fly from there. So there's still an itsy bitsy glimmer of hope. :/ Not for RF, alas, but to touch base with a local breeder if there is one in the area.

I can make 110% sure I can fly out of Florida with a mouse but it makes me nervous. It seems too easy...
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:22 pm

Better have a backup plan for the mouse if it is suddenly denied boarding the plane.
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:07 pm

Yeah I agree - I'm not sure such a plan could exist given I'm merely visiting a resort rather than friends. This is the second time I've come soooo close to getting good mice! And yet so far. It seems the chosen airport is in Buffalo.
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:05 pm

The flight booked is in Detroit on April 23rd and back again on May 4 before driving back into Canada. Welcome to making plans with my friends. scratch

Unfortunately I think the closest breeder is in Ohio!
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:24 pm

Visit some pet stores, anyway. There might be some genes there that aren't in pet stores in your area. PetSmart has had some out of the ordinary colors recently.
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:26 pm

Mrs. Beach wrote:Visit some pet stores, anyway. There might be some genes there that aren't in pet stores in your area. PetSmart has had some out of the ordinary colors recently.

I will definitely have to! My lovely RY female that I picked up from the feeder bin a couple of months ago has what the vet thinks is a fat tumour...! Sad I was so, so excited about having such a perfect personality to breed into the line. I guess on the bright side I can take my time since bucks don't have a time limit, though I was hoping to get another litter out of Stark. Zero health problems with this line so far , knock on wood.

I'm not really worried about colour, my only requirements at this stage is 1) health and 2) satin. A tall order I'm sure. Sad
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:15 pm

Hmm...has anyone heard of a Courtney in Detroit? I don't have a mousery name so she may just be a hobbyist like me. May be a better option than a pet store though.
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down