What are your comments on housing mice in large plastic totes

Go down

Post by lunalady on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:35 pm

Wondering if this is a good way to house mice? What is the general census on the best housing? How many bucks together and with does??

lunalady
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Re: What are your comments on housing mice in large plastic totes

Post by Love2read on Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:08 pm

Many breeders(if not most) use plastic tubs or lab cages(which are basically plastic tubs with wire lids). They work great, imo. The key, however, is to make sure there's plenty of ventilation and never let them run low on food/water or they'll start chewing their way out.

As far as boys being together, I, personally, have had success housing brothers together and show-type boys together, but pet-types almost always fight. The general consensus is NOT to house bucks together, however.

With does you can keep them in colonies as long as they get along. Again, with my show-types I seem to have no issues. However, pet-type females seem to be more loath to accept each other and even if they do it's usually after a day or 2 of them setting their pecking order.

The number of mice per container just depends on the size of the cage.
Love2read
Hopper
Hopper

http://www.justforfuzzies.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lunalady on Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Ok the tubs, do you punch holes in it with a small nail (heated) or wire mesh??? How do u installed the water. Where do you get the lab containers??? Are they big enough for the mice to move and play??? I put toys in with my pet mice. Anyone with photos of their housing units would be helpful.

lunalady
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails on Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:04 pm

I don't recommend poking holes that they can reach. If they can get their teeth on it, they will chew out! Cutting a large, square hole in the lid and then covering it with mesh is best, in my opinion. For the water bottle, making a hole just big enough for the spout to fit through and supporting it on the exterior is also how I do it. I don't have any up close photos or any photos of my larger bins at the moment, but here's some idea:

The key is to use storage bins that don't have any raised surfaces on the inside for them to chew on and possibly escape. If I get a chewer, I usually just patch the hole with plastic or sheet metal and keep using the converted bin. To cut holes and such, I use a dremel tool. It's fast, easy and relatively cheap!

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin on Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:10 pm

Melissa, I want to see a picture of your mouse room when it's dirty, there's no way you keep it that perfect all the time. Laughing
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails on Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:17 pm

This photo was from October, I think? It's pretty much the same but at the moment, it is about as messy as it gets which means I have more cages haphazzardly in front of and next to the shelving plus I have a heater in the center of the room. Laughing I should take a pic when I get home and show you what my messy mouse room looks like! Wink

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by mouselover01 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:59 pm

THAT'S your basement? I hate you FYI!

I'll be working on my basement within the next 3 months to get it better than it is now and stop the water from shooting up from the floor in some places. I'm so jealous of your mouse room!
mouselover01
Co-founder / Admin
Co-founder / Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:14 pm

OK, I didn't have a whole empty converted bin to photograph close-up, but I did have lids to show you can you can do the conversion just with altering the lid. The only thing you have to do to the rest of the bin is make a hole for the water bottle and water bottle's external support.

For the lids, find the shortest/shallowest nuts and bolts that will hold the screen tightly in place but won't stick out far into the cage where your mice can hurt themselves. Also, I fold the sides in on the mesh and put the "sharp" side against the lid for the same reason. Big smile

Lid Top:

Lid Inside:

And here's a mid-week shot of my mouse room from yesterday:

There's a reason why my mouse room is orderly- the rest of my house isn't!!!!! And my whole basement isn't finished, only partially finished. The rest looks like a dungeon like any other basement. If it were our house, I'd finish it off but it's just a rental so screw those cheap turds!
If you want "proof" of the rest of my house, I took comparison pics! LOL! Laughing

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lunalady on Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:53 pm

Great, I really appreciate the photo and all the feedback. I will have my hubby help with the project Laughing

lunalady
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by mouselover01 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:55 pm

It's so messy, you ought to be ashamed! tongue
mouselover01
Co-founder / Admin
Co-founder / Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:18 pm

Laughing

And here's a quick primer on making a water bottle hole/support:

Mark a place for the bottle spout to enter and two small holes to use wire or whatever you wish to hang the bottle with. I like 18 or 16 gauge covered wire, but plain will work fine.

Use the Dremel tool to make the 2 small holes and then use graduating drill bits to make the hole for the spout.

And if you want to get fancy, you can affix washers over the holes to prevent little teeth from getting a bite hold and making an escape route. Heehee.

After that, just cut a length of wire and bend it into a U-shape to support the water bottle after you insert each end of the U into the tiny hanging holes. Big smile

Oh, and here's where all my crap is! The bonus room! Still filled with boxes from the move back in August. I still have over half my clothes packed away. Slow season officially started yesterday so I'm already starting going through all the mess! Clothes, library, crafts, art and art supplies- it's ALL in this room or the garage. Haha!

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by mouselover01 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:22 pm

I think I see something that's junk... You can just send me that light box... ;-)

May we steal your pics for the website?
mouselover01
Co-founder / Admin
Co-founder / Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:13 pm

mouselover01 wrote:I think I see something that's junk... You can just send me that light box... ;-)

May we steal your pics for the website?

Not the ones of the junk piles, obviously. Laughing
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:28 pm

My leaning tower of lightbox????? Yeah, it got a little bent in the move in August. It sometimes throws shadows now. I just haven't been to DicBlick for the materials to make a new one and I'm too cheap to order one online!

If you want to use the bin and bin lid photos, you can. The room of junk and boxes from the move would be too scary! Laughing

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum