The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EMERGENCY!!!!!

+7
Zia
moustress
tinyhartmouseries
thistlebrook
kawmice
Rhasputin
GypsyTails
11 posters

Go down

EMERGENCY!!!!! Empty EMERGENCY!!!!!

Post by GypsyTails Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:03 pm

I just came home from work early to find Bagel dead next to her food bowl! She looked just like she was sleeping, but when I went to put food in her bowl, she didn't move. She showed no signs of anything unusual, and I've even been keeping her up in the kitchen since she was the last doe to litter for a while. Bagel was the mama to my Tri litter I just posted pics of in the Litters section. Her 6 babies were born on the 12th of February. I don't have any other nursing does at the moment. Do you think I could hand feed them? They are fat and active? Bagel was feeding them when I left for work this morning..... What should I do? If they were younger, I would cull..... But they are already 12 days old. What would a feeding schedule look like? I am not too terribly busy at work or anything and they could come in with me. Ugh, my poor Bagel! Sudden rodent death syndrome is NO GOOD! If only I had other mamas to foster to. Cry

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

EMERGENCY!!!!! Empty Re: EMERGENCY!!!!!

Post by Rhasputin Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:19 pm

Oh goodness. I would go out and get some KMR ASAP. Do you not have any nursing does? You could try going to a pet store and seeing if they have any nursing feeder does, and buy one.
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:30 pm

Oh no!! I agree with Casey. Use kmr kitten replacer or it would be even better to get a nursing doe.
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:46 pm

I got the KMR and started giving them that via paintbrush. They don't outright nurse it yet though. They just kind of sip it and keep looking for a nipple, but it's a start. I have a doe who weaned her litter 9 days ago. That's the closest to nursing that I have. I just introduced them to that said doe, Pickle, who almost immediately started grooming them. I checked again and she was huddling over them. I am going to see if she may re-lactate and keep up with the KMR and monitor their weight. 3 of the 6 ate a good bit of KMR, but they are seriously loving Pickle's warmth after not having any for a little while. Keep your fingers crossed. I will try the paintbrush with KMR thing again soon and give some to foster mum with some bread.

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by thistlebrook Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:53 pm

Good luck, I hope everything works out.
thistlebrook
thistlebrook
Hopper
Hopper

http://tbr.thistlebrook.net

Back to top Go down

Post by tinyhartmouseries Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:03 pm

Ahh! This is so sad! I hope it works out, I really do. Keep us updated!
tinyhartmouseries
tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Post by moustress Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:30 pm

They should be OK. Their eyes will open in a couple of days, and at that point they will take soft foods, and a few days after that, they will eat anything an adult mousies would.

Having the doe to mother them is good, even if she's not lactating. Try cream of wheat cooked with KMR. My moms and babies all love the stuff.they will slurp it up easily in a day or two.

moustress
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:06 pm

Yes having the doe care for them is great, even if she isn't lactating. Keep feeding them every few hours, especially since they aren't really eating yet, just tasting. Watch their bottoms too, the doe should be able to keep them clean but check just in case, and if they're dirty you can use a warm moist q-tip to 'lick' their butts clean.
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Zia Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:28 pm

I'm so glad things seem to be working out! If it seems like they're starting to go downhill, my offer still stands, but I really do think what you've done is best for them. I feel bad for poor Bagel, but it is lucky for them they got a good start before having to go though this!
Zia
Zia
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:32 pm

There is a link at TFM on handraising baby mice. Waitaminnit. Scroll down to "Hand Raising": http://www.thefunmouse.com/info/orphanedmice.cfm
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://mrsbeachsbrindleempire.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lunalady Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:13 am

That is so sad. Hope all goes well. Keep us posted.

lunalady
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:12 am

How sad. I hope things turn out well. Sending good thoughts for those babies!
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

http://www.ctpetsitter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleSniffs Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:23 am

Aww so sorry to hear about this. I hope everything turns out OK.
LittleSniffs
LittleSniffs
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:44 am

Thanks for all the support! They were so fussy all night and morning, squeaking constantly. I have brought them and Pickle to work with me, and lo-and-behold they are finally quiet! I just checked on them and all 6 were firmly attached to Pickle, not nudging or squeaking anymore. I found some squishy baby poo, so I am keeping a close eye on them still and will offer the KMR and lab block again at 10:00am. Still keeping my fingers crossed!

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:25 am

Zia wrote:I'm so glad things seem to be working out! If it seems like they're starting to go downhill, my offer still stands, but I really do think what you've done is best for them. I feel bad for poor Bagel, but it is lucky for them they got a good start before having to go though this!

Thank you so much! I will let you know if anything changes for the worse. Happy

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum