The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

camera help

+5
LittleSniffs
Rhasputin
Mrs. Beach
doganddisc
kawmice
9 posters

Go down

camera help Empty camera help

Post by kawmice Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:17 pm

Ok guys. I need a good camera to take mouse pics with. I see all your wonderful pictures so I thought I would ask all of you before I go and buy ANOTHER digi cam that takes great pics but crappy close up mouse pics. Lol.

So my question to you
What digi camera do you use and / or what camera would you recomend?
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

camera help Empty Re: camera help

Post by doganddisc Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:35 pm

I use a Canon Rebel. Love it but very pricey!
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

http://www.ctpetsitter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:10 pm

I use HP Photosmart M525. Close-up (macro) function is not optimum. I need something with more pixels or something.
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://mrsbeachsbrindleempire.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:26 pm

Thanks guys! Any more suggestions?
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:55 pm

I use a Kodak Ex? it's 12 megapixels. Works well and i'm pretty sure it's very affordable.
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleSniffs Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:06 pm

doganddisc wrote:I use a Canon Rebel. Love it but very pricey!

I am a photographer, anything Canon is great. I've had canon rebel's and they are great for every day use. And very easy to use. My first one came with a manual but they also included 2 books and how to take certain pictures as well as a cheat sheet to carry with you.

I would stay away for kodak. I've had several, they seem to lose the crisp clearness in pictures about a year after purchase.
LittleSniffs
LittleSniffs
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:45 am

I have a panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5. It takes quite nice macros Happy Whatever you use, the key to crisp, clear, mousey photos is having an abundance of LIGHT.... Your photo setup is just about as important as the camera itself!

This is my "photo booth" for my small critters...
camera help 6766873273_069f9e030d_z
Photo "Box" by CSBeck, on Flickr
The photo was taken before I changed the covering of the lights to sheer fabric...it was tissue paper in the pic. You want at least 2 lights...I recommend the brightest daylight spectrum compact flourescents you can find (they won't put off the heat that incandescent bulbs do) and you definitely want to soften it with some sort of cover (like tissue paper or sheer fabric). Do NOT use flash!

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:03 pm

Thanks everyone!! Stina - I love your mouse studio setup. Happy

I will do some onlline window shoping today and maybe buy a camera on pay day thursday. lol
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:55 am

Canon has great point and shoots (though I'm a Nikon user right now). Stina's bang on. Light's the key and those makeshift softboxes are wonderful. The Flickr photo I posted in my intro thread was taken with a Nikon D90 but one definitely can get away with a point and shoot for mice.
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:16 am

My panasonic somehow got dust under the lense recently....barely a month past the expiration of the warranty....so steve decided to get me a camera as an early anniversary/late valentine's day gift!....and not just any camera....a Nikon d5100!!!!!!!!!! <3<3<3<3<3<3<3 Also got an awesome lens and we have 2 other lenses from steve's "old" fuji dSLR (that I HATE...its a good camera....but way too many buttons and too complicated for me...lol I rarely ever got the shots I wanted!), so I have 3 lenses to play with Happy

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:19 am

Nice!! That camera should last you a while! I thought about the D5000 but ended up with the D90 because I wanted to use non-AF lenses (there's a motor in the D90 that will focus them).
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:25 am

The D5100 doesn't have an internal AF motor, it requires lenses that have them to use AF....though I prefer AF myself...I can never get the focus where I want it with manual focus! I love it so much already after 1 day...lol You can see some pics I've taken with it on my flickr account http://www.flickr.com/photos/stinaksu/ ...the new pics go up to page 4. I'm still figuring out the best settings for things (I've used manual settings on non SLR cameras....I had a canon A550 that had full manual settings)...but I am definitely loving it so far.... I am desperate for a NOT windy day (f***ing wind!!!!!) and a trip to the ZOOOOOOOOO!!!

Steve wanted to get one of the new micro four thirds cameras...but in researching (mostly with www.imaging-resource.com) I found the nikon d5100 produces higher quality images, especially at higher iso's (thus better for low lighting!) and in macros.....plus it was less expensive and thus we could get a better lens Happy I am SO happy with my choice so far! One of my favorite things about it is that it has an articulated screen so you can flip it around to protect it...that's something I desperately missed from my canon

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleSniffs Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:49 pm

Let me know how you like it, I seen on facebook that you were waiting and waiting! I've been wanting to switch over to a nikon, but I don't want to have to switch all my lenses out.
LittleSniffs
LittleSniffs
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:00 pm

loving it so far! www.imaging-resource.com is the best site I've found for comparing cameras...they do VERY VERY comprehensive testing that encompases the same photos for every different camera they test...makes it so easy to compare when you are looking at essentially the same image!

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleSniffs Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:21 pm

Oh thats cool. When I got mine I went with a article my hubby had from one of his mags. I've had every brand but nikon, thats on my to do list, but those lenes keep making me put it off! LOL
LittleSniffs
LittleSniffs
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:31 pm

dpreview.com is another good source. Happy

And yeah that articulated screen would really come in handy. When I started out I had to use myself as a model to show my ability to capture people and that screen would have made life so much easier! Definitely missed it from the Canon Pro1.
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:36 pm

hehe...you can get other brand lenses (tamron, tokina, sigma...) that tend to be less expensive than the nikon brand lenses and may produce higher quality images than the nikons.

I prefer imaging resource and other sites with lots of photo examples to magazine articles and straight up written reviews (dpreview is good)....with photo examples you can choose the camera that produces the images you prefer.........as much as image quality is objective...there is still a lot of personal preference to it and subtle differences that often aren't noted that can make a difference depending on what you plan on primarily using the camera for.

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:38 pm

Absolutely! I was working with the Canon 7D last year and really didn't like the feel of it. It felt so fragile, like if I squeezed hard it might break. Also, really not a fan of that shutter sound...so electronic. But these are totally personal preferences. It's always best to handle a camera yourself before buying.
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:29 am

Oooh - LOTS of camera suggestions and helpful info!!!! Thanks guys!!!!!

kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by onceuponamousery Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:50 am

Hey, I got a nice Cannon, it's the closest to professional, I got it on amazon for half the price! I haven't used it yet because I have to read the manual, it's not easy to use like my current digital and I just never took the time to read it all yet lol. I know I've heard that Cannons are always great and the one I got I made sure had a really nice Macro setting. Also you can even buy lots of great add on pieces for the camera, I just bought a tripod set for now. If you want to know more details let me know and I'll pull it out to see the model etc.

onceuponamousery
Hopper
Hopper

http://reginanjacobsmousehouse.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JuleeP Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:48 pm

I have a Nikon D3100, and I love it. I do a lot of photography, not just mice, but it's fabulous.
JuleeP
JuleeP
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down