The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good and bad brands?

5 posters

Go down

Good and bad brands? Empty Good and bad brands?

Post by JuleeP Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:22 pm

Sorry for all of the questions (and I'm sure there will be a few more over the next few days tongue), but I want to make sure I'm doing things right! What are good brands of lab block and premade mixes? I'd like to have a lab block staple supplemented with a homemade seed mix, ideally, but we shall see. My dogs are fed Wellness CORE (grain free), I'm not sure if that would be okay to supplement with or not. Thoughts?
JuleeP
JuleeP
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Good and bad brands? Empty Re: Good and bad brands?

Post by kawmice Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:09 am

Most of us use Harlan lab blocks. I forgot the new name they are under! Lol. I will look it up. Or maybe someone could post it.

Pre mixed seeds- I prefer browns hamster. I mix this with an assortment of other things I add to their mix. I mainly use :
Browns hamster seeds
Harlan lab blocks
Crushed corn
Wild bird seed
Black sunflower (small amounts as an added treat)
Split peas
Barley
Oatmeal
Lentils
Raman noodles broken up
Pasta

I also give them and assortment of treats mixed in AMD some kind of hay

I know I am probably forgetting something! Lol
And we like questions! Ask away. Happy
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:24 am

Oopps. I add dog food in as well. Lol my dogs get nutro natural choice. Plus I use a multivitamin twice a week on their food.
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:25 am

Julee, I am kicking myself for not giving you some of the lab blocks I have. I've got a forty lb bag and currently only have four mice. I completely forgot the bag I made up for you on my out the door this morning.

Also, the Core is fine to give them Happy They LOVE dog food. I've been giving mine Core and Orijen.

Harlan is now called Native Earth.
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

http://www.ctpetsitter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:20 am

Yeah, Harlan Teklad/Native Earth is the "gold standard" lab block! If you have Pet Supplies Plus in your area and only have a couple mice, I believe the bulk block they sell may be HT/NE. Otherwise you can get the large bags from www.nationalpetpharmacy.com or www.petfooddirect.com (same company...but NPP tends to have higher prices with lower shipping and PFD lower prices with higher shipping...watch coupons).

The core is fine for mice, I would just only add a little. I use all grain free for our 4 dogs (no specific brand though...we get whichever ones we think are good that happen to be on sale...lol), and supplement with raw items like turkey necks and pigs feet....I sometimes use it for the rodents, but usually I specifically buy less exponsive dog food that's corn/wheat/soy free to mix with their block to get a little meat and up the overall protein for breeding does and youngsters.

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by onceuponamousery Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:39 am

Stina, I live near a pet supplies plus, what is the name of the brand that you said they sell? Thank you Happy

onceuponamousery
Hopper
Hopper

http://reginanjacobsmousehouse.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:49 am

Native Earth/Harlan Teklad...I'm not entirely positive that's what they carry though...I had been looking around for it at some point a couple years ago and e-mailed PSP and they said that that was what they sold in the bulk bins...but I don't know if they still do or if all of them sell/sold it. I also dont' recall how the bins are marked...it may not list the brand, just the ingredients and stuff... I do know that it was MUCH more expensive to buy it from them then in the bulk bags...but if you only have a few mice it'd be easier probably.

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by onceuponamousery Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:25 am

Thanks Stina, I've been buying lab blocks from G&G feed store in Manheim, I think the brand is called Zigglers, its 18% protein, the mice eat it up, our rats didn't like it though. I would rather get the native earth but the cost is twice as much because of the shipping, I pay only 20 for a big bag from G&G. We don't have time to travel to get food and can't afford to put more miles on the car since we already put so much w our petsitting dogwalking clients, our car is def getting up there in miles! lol. Time to put money aside for a newer one lol. Oh also do you still use the horse pellets, or did you switch? They seem to be the only kind that has worked for us, others were really stinky!

onceuponamousery
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:01 am

Are you talking about the pine pellets for bedding? I switched to alfalfa pellets....they are more expensive, but produce less dust.

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by onceuponamousery Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:08 am

Yeah, oh I'm allergic to alfalfa, I don't like the dust either, I have a air purifier in the room to try and help. Oh well! lol. I looked up ziegler lab blocks and they are almost the same as native earth so I guess I'm ok w sticking w them Happy

onceuponamousery
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down