The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

agouti with white undercoat

+17
thewesterngate
SCMousery
candycorn
doganddisc
seafolly
Frizzle
thapsus
Rhasputin
m137b
jencandy
kawmice
Laigaie
Love2read
bethmccallister
Lycrisa
Stina
Mrs. Beach
21 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

agouti with white undercoat - Page 3 Empty Re: agouti with white undercoat

Post by thapsus Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:01 pm

I have read about those genes, from Silvers.
http://www.informatics.jax.org/wksilvers/frames/frame1-1.shtml

It says:
N. Underwhite ( uw)
Underwhite is an autosomal (chromosome 15) recessive mutation which arose spontaneously in the C57BL/6J strain ( Dickie, 1964a). The dorsum of the uw homozygotes is a light buff color whereas the ventrum is white. The eyes of uw/uw mice are unpigmented at birth but darken to a dark reddish color at maturity ( M.C. Green, 1966a). According to Dickie mice carrying underwhite and agouti ( A), black and tan ( at), or such spotting genes as viable dominant spotting ( Wv) and white ( Miwh) are almost impossible to classify because their coat color is so dilute.

O. White Underfur (Provisional Symbol; wuf)
This recessive mutation (linkage unknown) occurred in a stock carrying rosette ( rst). It is impenetrant on brown ( b) and makes extreme nonagouti ( ae) difficult to classify. wuf/wuf is not completely penetrant and, unlike underwhite ( uw), does not affect the eyes ( Ferguson and Wallace, 1977). 18

SO, neither of them I think. Could be wuf if information about being impenetrant on brown (b) is wrong.

There are also Light B^lt that sounds about right, but the picture here does not look right.
http://www.informatics.jax.org/webshare/fetch_pixels.cgi?id=44698.
I haven't had any shorthaired yet though.

Then there is White-Based Brown B^w that is possibility, except only that Silver's say it occurred following the exposure of spermatogonia to 600 r low-dose rate gamma-irradiation
thapsus
thapsus
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:30 pm

Wow! This is getting really good! I wonder, Thapsus, if you emailed these pix to Jax if they'd write back.
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://mrsbeachsbrindleempire.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Post by renapopma Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:10 am

We've got some scattered here and there (various mouseries) with a white undercoat. These are from the Siamese "Smoke" mice that Michele has.
JAX said they were only interested in new types that appeared in known lab colonies these days.

renapopma
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by thapsus Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:14 am

Any pics? Or links to conversations or something?

Jax answered the first time I contacted them but that's about it. There's not much they or I can do because I'm pretty far away from them. No labs interested in here that I have found. 

One black boy now has light underfur everywhere.
thapsus
thapsus
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by renapopma Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:27 pm

We have some extensive conversations on Midwest Mouse Meetups on Facebook. I have preliminary findings in email format and some dialogue with Karen R from AFRMA. I'd be quite happy to include you in those conversations. We've got about two weeks of intensive data pooling. If you'd like to message your email to me we can get started.

renapopma
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3