The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seeking new blood

+2
Rhasputin
seafolly
6 posters

Go down

Seeking new blood Empty Seeking new blood

Post by seafolly Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd make a formal announcement that Tully is now in with her man and they seem to be getting on well enough. And yes, Mrs. Beach, I will be recording weights. Happy

This will be my first litter, and a test litter at that as I don't know the lineage of either. I've mentioned how mice are incredibly rare to find in Toronto. I was thinking ahead, that if my first litter experience goes well (if I can cull without feeling like a monster and no disasters happen that I could have controlled) I was thinking about where I'd like to take the line. I'm a pretty big fan of rex (in mice, not rats). Tully is a satin long haired and Stark is a satin, so I don't expect to see that pop up ever.

I noticed there's a reptile expo here in Toronto next month (http://www.reptileexpo.ca/toronto.html) and I'm sure they'll have feeders available. Is this a poor source of new blood? My first reaction says yes, but I don't know how to produce new varieties as pet stores pretty much never carry them. Am I stuck with just line breeding? Or is it work a look-see to see what sorts of mice are around?
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Seeking new blood Empty Re: Seeking new blood

Post by Rhasputin Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:28 pm

Where in ONtario are you out of curiosity? I'm in Rochester, so I'm not far outside of Ontario. Maybe I'll smuggle you some mice. Big smile
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by bethmccallister Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:52 pm

A friend of mice got nice mice from a reptile show but I think it's usually touch and go. Hope Casey can hook you up.
bethmccallister
bethmccallister
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:52 pm

I'm pretty envious of the geographical proximity you guys have to one another! I'm in Toronto. Happy 168 miles, yikes! Though smuggling sounds fun! If you're ever in the area, I'd happily buy a couple of mice from you. Happy I'm on a mission to get my full driver's license this summer (in Toronto, we have a subway and bus system that are pretty decent so I never bothered to get the full thing and it expires soon!) so there's some good motivation. : D

Edit: Tully and Stark are now snuggling. So much progress in just under 24 hours. < 3
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:39 pm

168 isn't that bad, lol.

I'm sure one of these days I can hook you up. Happy
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:42 pm

wait..... is that Elena on Casey's username?.......Casey aren't you in VA?....lol I'm confused...

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Love2read Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:01 pm

It's a bit pricey(starting around $200, I believe), but might be worth it to ship a bunch of mice to Canada. If you could get some other breeders in on it as well it wouldn't cost that much per person.
Love2read
Love2read
Hopper
Hopper

http://www.justforfuzzies.com

Back to top Go down

Post by candycorn Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:24 pm

Stina wrote:wait..... is that Elena on Casey's username?.......Casey aren't you in VA?....lol I'm confused...

Answering for her...she moved recently!
candycorn
candycorn
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:33 pm

I did! I need to change my info! Announcement
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:50 pm

I can't say I know a single soul with mice! Someone mentioned a person in Quebec but I think NY would be closer (granted the border could create trouble). I'll just go with the flow then! Happy It's good to put it out there just in case anyone catches wind of other Canadians seeking non-pet store or feeder mice. Or if someone happens to vacation nearby. ; )
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down