The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouse Changing Color

5 posters

Go down

Mouse Changing Color Empty Mouse Changing Color

Post by kawmice Sat May 12, 2012 5:35 pm

Ok...... this particular line just keeps throwing suprises my way!

Grandfather is a splashed that I figured was a/a Sa/sa c^e/c^e Spl/* due to 2 gens of breeding.

First gen I got undermarked and over marked brindle who I was told look more sable then anything. I also got a black Tan. Some Satins. Second Gen (sister x brother pairing) gave me pied/ pied carriers, 2 beige, and a RY Broken. More Satins

Now..... I was doing my regular feeding and noticed a "weird" mouse in one of my doe cages. She is a dark beige color and is molting! She also has a VERY white belly. I was thinking siamese fox..... Looking at the label on the cage just left me dumb struck. No siamese at all. By process of elimination I found her to be KAW Opal!! The Beige doe from my sec gen in this line. Her coat got much darker and she is clearly molting. Looks to be getting points as well. Her belly is a very nice vibrant white.

SO........ could her grandfather be a/a Sa/sa c^e/c^ch Spl/* and thus giving me a siamese? Her brother is still a very pretty beige satin. Also.... she clearly has black eyes. Could there be a BE Siamese? Why would it take so long to show through? She was 4 weeks on april 28th and was even showed at the show as a nice color beige.

I have pictures, but it is so hard to get them from my phone to the computer. Sad

What do you guys think?
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Mouse Changing Color Empty Re: Mouse Changing Color

Post by kawmice Sun May 13, 2012 1:04 pm

No one, really???

Or is everyone off preparing for the shipment coming in. Lol
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by tinyhartmouseries Sun May 13, 2012 1:32 pm

Everyones off doing something that is for sure! I am on but I don't know jack about pointed specifically, except that it's recessive, and your mouse sounds like a Siamese, and a cool suprise. farao
tinyhartmouseries
tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Post by bethmccallister Sun May 13, 2012 1:53 pm

What was the gene code for the F1 generations mother? Was she Avy/at then? Did you get 100% brindle? Sometimes at gets lost on Avy brindles and hides out. If you're seeing points and serious molting I would think definitely ch and probably ch/ch Siamese with very serious base color lightening. The fox is nice and bright on at/a - ch/ch also...Siamese fox.
bethmccallister
bethmccallister
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by bethmccallister Sun May 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Oh wait, you said she has black eyes. Himilayans can have black eyes. Unless they are really deep ruby eyed Siamese. Was there any albino c-dilutes used to make the splash?
bethmccallister
bethmccallister
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Sun May 13, 2012 7:46 pm

Himalayans cannot have black eyes. Their eyes are a lighter pink than their Siamese siblings, because the c dilutes more strongly than the ch. Only a really really dark siamese can have black-looking eyes, but colorpoint beige do frequently, so I would guess she's a colorpoint beige fox. And granddad is probably cpb. That you haven't turned up Siamese would be odd, though. It could be that they were splashes, and so not as noticeable?

Darkening of points and lightening of body around six weeks is normal for himi/siamese, but I'm not as familiar with cpb. Himi/siam both darken then as they age, though.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Sun May 13, 2012 9:28 pm

Hey, yo! Brindles do change color all their lives, their stripes going from lighter to darker and back to lighter. I recently adopted a brindle I named Split Face because half of her face was dark. The week after I got her her face was entirely orange with a thin black line down the middle!
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://mrsbeachsbrindleempire.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Fri May 25, 2012 5:08 pm

Ok - so sorry I never posted the genetic info and such for the mice, or answered questions. It would be a LONG post and I have been pretty busy. Thank you all for your input!! I will post all that information at some point today.

I wanted to give you all an update on Opal.

UPDATE:
she molted to a beautiful and vibrant reverse siamese!! Beautiful points and very white belly, so a fox. Unfortunately I found her dead for no reason in her cage the other day. I am sooo very upset, especially since she was one of my favorites. Sad I wonder if the mousery got too hot, but thankfully everyone else is doing great.

I do have her brother, Rage, who is a beige satin. I will be breeding him to a reverse siamese I got from Cindy. I hope since he has the gene obviously, I should get some nice pups.
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down