The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Agression toward other rats?

3 posters

Go down

Agression toward other rats? Empty Agression toward other rats?

Post by kawmice Sat May 19, 2012 7:38 am

Ok.... So I got Charlie at rodent fest. (Thanks Beth and Nicole!) He is a siamese hairless. I did not see any other boys I really liked to take home to be Charlie's companion. Then a few days after fest my friend calls me about a petstore rat who needed rescuing from the feeder tank. So I told her to pick him up for me. He is an irish blue dumbo and VERY SWEET! His name is Gerry for short. lol

now.... the boys are together for about 5 days now and I just had to seperate them! Charlie has defensive wounds all over his nose and face and Gerry has a messed up and bleeding tail, wounds on his side, torn ear, and he is skinny, but not painfully so. I first thought the bully was Jerry until I saw charlie attack Gerry! I have never had issues introducing rat bucks to each other. Sad Now they have their own seperate cage

What should I do..... I know rats are very social.....
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Agression toward other rats? Empty Re: Agression toward other rats?

Post by Stina Sat May 19, 2012 7:53 am

Sad That sucks! Unfortunately...all rats are individuals, sometimes they just don't get along...its unlikely these boys ever will Sad Some bucks are just aggressive towards other bucks Sad It's MUCH less common than with mice, but it does happen...there is often a genetic component to it.

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Sat May 19, 2012 12:02 pm

Genetic? Dam!!!! I had plans on breeding Charlie. Sad

Thanks for the information Stina!
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Sat May 19, 2012 2:09 pm

I wouldn't say all is lost at all. Happy I actually had an issue with two sisters who obviously were together since birth, and around 2 years old, one started attacking the other. Blood and everything. But I knew them well enough that I could (after weeks of trying to think WHY this would happen!) figure out that one was just not up for the other's antics. I introduced a third female and everything was peaceful again.

Boys can be tough. I've had males that are perfect together from the moment QT is over with no introductions. And I've had others that took weeks of carefully supervised bathtub introductions. Lots of yummy things like oatmeal and such provided - food they would be forced to enjoy together without carrying it to opposite sides of the tub. In my 11 years of owning rats I only had one male that just wasn't getting it, but I picked up him from the SPCA as a loner, and I can only assume that the two year old had been alone his whole life and just wasn't going to change.

Some just require a lot more time than others. Happy
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down