The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sleeping outside of igloos? Too hot?

+3
Laigaie
candycorn
doganddisc
7 posters

Go down

Sleeping outside of igloos?  Too hot? Empty Sleeping outside of igloos? Too hot?

Post by doganddisc Mon May 28, 2012 9:40 pm

Most of my mice have been sleeping outside their igloos lately. Per the temperature gauge on my spiny mouse cage it is 85 degrees in my room. Are they too hot at this temperature? Could this be why they are all sleeping outside their igloos? (Is that any risk to the babies?)

My spiny mice are in heaven, however..
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

http://www.ctpetsitter.com

Back to top Go down

Sleeping outside of igloos?  Too hot? Empty Re: Sleeping outside of igloos? Too hot?

Post by candycorn Mon May 28, 2012 9:53 pm

That is pretty hot to me. I would get a window unit personally. Particularly if it's only May now!
candycorn
candycorn
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Sleeping outside of igloos?  Too hot? Empty Re: Sleeping outside of igloos? Too hot?

Post by Laigaie Mon May 28, 2012 10:37 pm

You're not generally allowed to ship mammals when it's above 85 because it's really too warm for most indoor mammals. I try to keep my mousery below 80, preferably around 70-75 yearround.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Mon May 28, 2012 10:40 pm

85 is a bit too high. I used to keep mine in a small room with reptiles, where it stayed an ambient 70-75 and they did wonderfully.

Do you have central AC? We don't here, but my opossum and pygmy mice are the only animals in my room, and they all love the warm temperatures!

I would suggest a fan, or window unit, like Tara said. Happy
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc Mon May 28, 2012 11:01 pm

I have an overhead an on and that is cooling the room quite a bit already. This is such a hot night apparently!

We have central AC but my parents won't use it because of the cost of electricity to run it. Same with a window unit. Guess the only option is more fans :/ Usually if it gets any hotter than this, we turn the AC on so I'm not too concerned. But I'm keeping an eye on everyone just in case.

Thank you guys Happy Any other suggestions for keeping them cooler without using AC?
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by candycorn Mon May 28, 2012 11:06 pm

If you have a basement I would move them there. Otherwise keep the air flowing and the room dark. Check waterbottles at least once if not twice a day and give cool treats like cucumber and celery to encourage fluid consumption.
candycorn
candycorn
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc Mon May 28, 2012 11:10 pm

Wonderful, thank you Happy I wish the basement was an option. I'd rather be hanging out down there! Unfortunately parent's house, parent's rules.

I'm going to go out and get a window fan tomorrow. I remember that helping with heat before.

What are the signs of an overheated mouse? Everyone looks really relaxed- grooming themselves. Would they seem lethargic at all? And if it does get any hotter, should I move the babies to the basement at the very least? (Who is most at risk for overheating first?)

Thank you for answering my million questions. I'm actually quite worried- I didn't realize this was going to be a problem. I imagine the aquariums don't help as they don't allow for a lot of air flow. I do have a ceiling fan that is helping to circulate things.
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleSniffs Mon May 28, 2012 11:12 pm

What if you got a window unit and paid the extra cost for it?

I have a feeling this year is going to be extremely hot on the east coast since we really didn't have a winter.
LittleSniffs
LittleSniffs
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc Mon May 28, 2012 11:14 pm

LittleSniffs wrote:What if you got a window unit and paid the extra cost for it?

I have a feeling this year is going to be extremely hot on the east coast since we really didn't have a winter.

It would depend entirely on what the cost is but that is something to consider.
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Mon May 28, 2012 11:18 pm

An overheated mouse will often stay out of its house, and lay flat, or in strange places, possibly be panting, etc.

If you get a really really hot day, and can't do anything about it, some people will put water bottles in the freezer, and stick the frozen bottles in the tanks. It acts kind of like a little in-tank air conditioner for a while. If you don't have many cages, this is a good option. You can also use ceramic tile, or marble, and the mice will lay on it to keep cool.

Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc Mon May 28, 2012 11:21 pm

Rhasputin wrote:An overheated mouse will often stay out of its house, and lay flat, or in strange places, possibly be panting, etc.

If you get a really really hot day, and can't do anything about it, some people will put water bottles in the freezer, and stick the frozen bottles in the tanks. It acts kind of like a little in-tank air conditioner for a while. If you don't have many cages, this is a good option. You can also use ceramic tile, or marble, and the mice will lay on it to keep cool.

Tile!! Tile I can do- we have a lot of extra tile!! And rocks that I could stick in the fridge before I give them to the mice. Thank you Rhasputin! Great idea Happy
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Mon May 28, 2012 11:36 pm

I have been having a hard time here. Today we had a heat warning! Already! My mousery is closed off for the most part, but the only window (busted by the way) leads out to a closed off airshaft. With the other units on for my landlord and two neighbors, theshaft heats up. Let's put it this way- I burned my hand just touching the window! It was 100 degrees in there. My babies were beyond hot. A fan will not even work due to tje fact that there is only hot air to push around.

I went out and bought a standing unit since my busted window will not hold a window unit. Fun fun! Now I have to "play" with the settings to get the temp right. I like to keep the room at about 68- 72 degrees. I have a few foster cats in there who are "mouse safe". Lol. I do not want them overheating.

I prefer to usr the frozen water bottle method myself when it gets too hot. I will also use frozen veggies to help cool them down.
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by tinyhartmouseries Mon May 28, 2012 11:50 pm

It's hot upstairs...I am working on a ventilation/cooling system that works. Sad I may have to go to the re-store and get some tile!
tinyhartmouseries
tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleSniffs Tue May 29, 2012 8:20 am

doganddisc wrote:
LittleSniffs wrote:What if you got a window unit and paid the extra cost for it?

I would at least ask. I have the opposite issue. Hubby works nights so he likes it cool during the day so the mice are in Logan's room since it's the warmest part of the house. But makes sleeping horrible sometimes as I'm sure you know! LOL
LittleSniffs
LittleSniffs
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc Tue May 29, 2012 9:18 am

LittleSniffs wrote:
doganddisc wrote:

I would at least ask. I have the opposite issue. Hubby works nights so he likes it cool during the day so the mice are in Logan's room since it's the warmest part of the house. But makes sleeping horrible sometimes as I'm sure you know! LOL

Sleeping with mice in the room is good training for sleeping during an air raid. Eye roll
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Tue May 29, 2012 9:37 am

Haha!!
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by candycorn Tue May 29, 2012 1:17 pm

I used to use frozen waterbottles for my rabbits as a child in Arizona. Some days it would get over 115 and while they had shade, there was no fans. They would lay next to those bottles and look much cooler. As an adult I would never do that to an animal. We ususally even spray the poor horses with the hose on these nasty days.
candycorn
candycorn
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc Wed May 30, 2012 12:58 pm

I went out and purchased a window fan to keep my room cooler. I left it dark today so I'm hoping that will help cool things off.

doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down