The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about rat breeders in Michigan

3 posters

Go down

Question about rat breeders in Michigan Empty Question about rat breeders in Michigan

Post by doganddisc Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:23 pm

A close friend of mine is thinking about getting into breeding rats and has asked me for help on finding the right breeder. We are both "dog people" and accustomed to getting the third degree (necessarily so) when inquiring about purchasing a dog from a reputable breeder, especially if you intend to breed. However, she has been quite put off by some of the rat breeders in her area who say that, under contract, they must approve of who you breed the rat you purchase to in addition to breedings of the offspring of that particular rat.

Is this common practice amongst rat breeders and is there anyone who does not have this as a rule? My friend is afraid that the person she purchases from will change their mind at the last minute and decide that she cannot breed. This woman is somebody who will make the right decisions when it comes to breeding- choosing rats based on health and structure, studying what to and not to do, supply the animals with proper caging and mental stimulation, and feed the best food.

I tend to agree with her. If I were going to buy rats to breed, I wouldn't want anyone hanging over my shoulder and telling me that I'm doing it wrong.

Am I totally off here? Does anyone have any recommendations for breeders for this person? She lives near Grand Rapids, MI.
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

http://www.ctpetsitter.com

Back to top Go down

Question about rat breeders in Michigan Empty Re: Question about rat breeders in Michigan

Post by Love2read Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:27 am

From what I've heard, that's pretty normal for rat breeders, unfortunately. :/

If she's wanting some rats I have a pair and 8 of their babies that need to go! I was supposed to get out of rats(per the request of the friend we're currently living with), but ended up having to take back a pair of babies I'd bred. Unfortunately, those "babies" came with babies of their own. O.o

I'm about 3 1/2 hours from her, not far from Toledo, OH. If she is willing to drive at least most of the way to get them then she can have em(no adoption fee)! I just need them gone before I end up with 50, lol.

Dad is a Black Berk Rex Dumbo and mom is a Black Berk Standard Dumbo. The babies were born 5/1/12 and are all dumbos. The babies are standards and hairless and a mix of the following: siamese, variegated, capped, hooded, and berk.

I have pedigrees on both parents. I got their parents from Jenni.

BTW, I don't require any contracts. I think it's ridiculous to require a contract for a rat. tongue I do NOT, however, sell rats as feeders, only pets/breeders.
Love2read
Love2read
Hopper
Hopper

http://www.justforfuzzies.com

Back to top Go down

Question about rat breeders in Michigan Empty Re: Question about rat breeders in Michigan

Post by doganddisc Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:51 am

PMed you on Mouselovers- thank you so much!!
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

http://www.ctpetsitter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by thistlebrook Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:18 am

Yup, sounds like the vast majority of rat breeders, which is a crying shame. I have heard of a few being that way due to not wanting competition, but most are just super super strict on their policies and such. I understand their reasoning (though I may not agree with the execution). I will not sell my rats under contract either, unless perhaps if I'm shipping them.
thistlebrook
thistlebrook
Hopper
Hopper

http://tbr.thistlebrook.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down