The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

long-hair (lgh) vs. angora (go)

+2
Laigaie
madmouse
6 posters

Go down

long-hair (lgh) vs. angora (go) Empty long-hair (lgh) vs. angora (go)

Post by madmouse Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:55 pm

So... In a particular line of mice, I have some with standard length coats with many very long guard hairs, some with long woolly coats with few guard hairs. And then I have some like this lady:

long-hair (lgh) vs. angora (go) Abish10

She had a thick woolly long coat plus lots of wispy long guard hairs. The wispy guard hairs have all but disappeared with maturity, but the woolly thick coat has stayed. I've heard multiple explanations for this type of coat: it is both lgh/lgh and go/go with one gene causing the guard hairs and another causing the "main" coat, that it is a texel (go/go Re/*) with poor type, and that the guard hairs are only a temporary effect of molting.

Any opinons on the matter?

ps: please let me know if you can't see the picture. I screw these things up- I'm like an old lady on the internet.

madmouse
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

long-hair (lgh) vs. angora (go) Empty Re: long-hair (lgh) vs. angora (go)

Post by Laigaie Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:17 pm

That is almost definitely a texel. I've heard folks talk about go/go causing a slightly wooly texture, but that is waaaaaay too textured to be just go/go by itself.

That said, since most folks have no way of knowing whether they have go or lgh, it's really really hard to tell the difference. You know you've got opposite genes if you breed two longhaired mice and get all standard-coated mice, but you still won't necessarily know which is which.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:40 pm

Do angora have straight whiskers too? I have two mice with long hair but straight whiskers. Born out of a texel x rex litter.
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

http://www.ctpetsitter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:05 pm

My understanding is that only rex/fuzzy/other curly-coat genes will curl the whiskers. Longcoat genes give you long whiskers, which tend to droop a bit, but are generally not curly.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:12 pm

Angora should have straight whiskers, but they can curve dwnwards a little, but it's just because of the length. Happy
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:46 pm

I would definately say your mice pictured are texel, thus having the rex and angora/longhaired gene. I also agree that is would be impossible to tell a true lgh from go.

And same as was said here, curly whiskers occur with curly coated mice as well as fuzzy and fuzzy hairless.

Happy
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by thewesterngate Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:16 am

I'm interested in finding out more of a difference between longhair and angora. I read that longhair is a standard coat with long guard hairs, and angora is a longer coat with longer guard hairs. Is that true? (I'll post my own pictures in a separate thread for ID, or here if the OP says it's OK.)
thewesterngate
thewesterngate
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/PoeM-Reptiles/118568558264968

Back to top Go down

Post by madmouse Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:36 pm

Laigaie wrote:That said, since most folks have no way of knowing whether they have go or lgh, it's really really hard to tell the difference. You know you've got opposite genes if you breed two longhaired mice and get all standard-coated mice, but you still won't necessarily know which is which.

That helps alot! I bred the doe in the photo to a satin buck with longish (medium-length?) fur and loads of really long guard hairs. They had a litter of six, three of which the mother culled. Of the three babies, there was one with a coat just like her mother's, a fuzzy with very long guard hairs, and a rex with the thick woolly coat of his mom minus the long guard hairs. Perhaps the mother in the pic was homozygous for both coat types but the father was only homozygous for one and just carried the other?

madmouse
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down