The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would you take a look at these breeding plans?

4 posters

Go down

Would you take a look at these breeding plans? Empty Would you take a look at these breeding plans?

Post by tinyhartmouseries Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:09 pm

I am working on my angoras now more than ever. I am trying to type them up, keep the coats that exist in my pet types, and also breed them to all be Ivory. I have several options and I am unsure about how to best and most easily proceed.

I have the following mice-
Ivory standard male, very large and typey
Pet type angora buck, great fur, very dense
Typier angora buck, larger and better head, but with poor short coat

Does, 4 well coated pet types and three decently typed with poor coat

I was thinking I would breed one of each doe to the Ivory buck, and then breed those offspring together.
I would be sustaining a coat line with the pet types all the while, in case this doesn't work, and I lose the coats.
I hope this makes sense, I am open to ideas. This is a project I am excited about and I am willing to spend several years creating a good angora.
tinyhartmouseries
tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Would you take a look at these breeding plans? Empty Re: Would you take a look at these breeding plans?

Post by Laigaie Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:03 am

This makes pretty good sense to me, though I'd breed the offspring back to the buck, rather than breeding them together. If you want the rest of your line more like him, just use him.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Would you take a look at these breeding plans? Empty Re: Would you take a look at these breeding plans?

Post by tinyhartmouseries Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:10 am

Just a question- if I did that, they would not express angora for a while, and am I right to say that I wouldn't know which of these second offspring were Go/Go and which were Go/go? The first would be carriers so they would all be Go/go, but once I breed them back to dad, any number of them could pick up the extra Go. I am thinking outloud!

Also, I am under the impression that each gen where angora is outcrossed to standard creates less of a quality coat (am I right?)
tinyhartmouseries
tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:11 am

Aaah! So, several things:

Your Go/go + Go/Go would equal half carriers and half non-carriers. Breeding them together and selecting for the angoras would let you breed the angoras back to him to improve type, or you could keep selecting from that group after having only crossed out once.

With coat quality, you're looking at modifiers. Having a parent who was Go/go vs go/go is irrelevant to coat quality. The thing is, though, that you haven't been collecting longhair modifiers into Go/* lines... unless you were breeding for go/go in the first place. The Go/go mice and the go/go mice bred from the same line are not necessarily any different in their modifiers. Just think of them as genes that are carried separately from the Go or go, but that only express on go mice, like Splashed and c-dilutes.

So, in that case, you could breed to the typey buck, cross those does to the best buck you'll get from those litters, and get a mess of mice from which you'll select the angoras. If those have lost no coat quality, you can breed back to the typey buck and start over. If they have, you know he has cruddy modifiers. If they haven't, then breeding back to him is no problem. Probably, they'll lose a bit, and just being typier will make the coat look less full, despite having the same actual length. That seems to be where most folks get hung up after injecting type into their longhairs.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by tinyhartmouseries Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:38 am

Goodness, lots to think about....I kind of wish I was only breeding angoras now! lol
tinyhartmouseries
tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:48 am

Useless contribution: thank you so much for posting this question and these answers and feedback. It's incredibly helpful for me to read these puzzles and attempt to follow along. Happy I miss this.
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Gracegarden Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:35 am

I agree. I find it quite helpful to listen in on conversations.

Gracegarden
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down