The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from Massachusetts!

3 posters

Go down

Hello from Massachusetts! Empty Hello from Massachusetts!

Post by HolyTaco Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:04 am

I'm really glad to have found this site as it appears to be fairly active with loads of good informative posts. I've been on it a lot the past couple of days since I've registered reading as many posts to better care for my first fancy mice. I have had some practice as I've always been fascinated with small mammals. I've adopted many pet store mice in the past but after watching a video on youtube a few months back on the differences between show and regular mice I've had my eyes set on getting some for myself. Unfortunately there don't seem to be many people into mice in the Boston area but hopefully that will change. Anyone have any tips for beginners? I'm going to attend the next rodent fest and possibly another show as a way to see as many different varieties in person and see what appeals to me most, I'm thinking of getting some sooner as well seeing how it wouldn't be until next year.

HolyTaco
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Hello from Massachusetts! Empty Re: Hello from Massachusetts!

Post by Mrs. Beach Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:35 am

RodentFest is a great way to get to meet breeders and look at a variety of mice. What other show would you be attending? I'm always looking for shows in my area (MD near DC).

Your request for "tips for beginners" is very broad, which is why nobody is answering you. Do you mean for housing, breeding, health, food, handling, etc.? Each one of these could elicit several paragraphs of tips for beginners.

Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://mrsbeachsbrindleempire.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HolyTaco Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:35 am

I was thinking of attending the ECMA show on Oct. 15 in PA. I would have to see if I could get my days off from work scheduled around this day. Any other shows on the East Cost where one can see rodents?

I know there's a lot of buying and selling at RF, is it the same case with the ECMA show?

As far as beginner tips I was wondering what varieties would be the easiest to keep as far as breeding to standard. I like how some varieties have very good type while at the same time I really like some of the colored and marked varieties that don't conform to type as well. I've been reading up several European sites and really like Herefords, Bandeds, and Rump Whites but aside from perhaps not being able to source these in the US, I wonder if they're more advanced than other varieties.

HolyTaco
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:27 am

Rumpwhites are extremely rare in the US. Since we don't have the hereford gene, ours are just spotted mice bred to the look. Bandeds are also not super-common. You might want to see what's within transport distance of you, what the available quality is, and whether you're willing to work within the difficulties of that variety. That said, sometimes you just really love a variety, and it sounds like you're really in love with the marked varieties.

Are you wanting to pick a variety that shows well and wins well, or one that you'll enjoy working with, or one that you'll enjoy looking at? Also, what shows well in the US is slightly different than what shows well elsewhere, because each club has slightly different standards and expectations, and because the quality available in some things is markedly better than in others.

I am not a member of ECMA, so I can't answer that question, but wherever you find the info for the show, it should state it clearly.

Last edited by Laigaie on Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar fail)
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by HolyTaco Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:18 pm

I would want to work with some of the rare marked varieties the most just for my own personal enjoyment and perhaps another variety as well, depending on the quality of what is within reach.

HolyTaco
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down