The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No babies!

4 posters

Go down

No babies! Empty No babies!

Post by Mrs. Beach Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:16 pm

I've had three couples together for two weeks and nobody is getting pregnant! What is it? Is it because it's winter?
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://mrsbeachsbrindleempire.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

No babies! Empty Re: No babies!

Post by Laigaie Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:26 pm

I've also had no pregnancies this past few weeks. I'm trying to keep it nice and comfy in the mouse room, but no luck lately. I feel your pain. :/
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:01 pm

Thank you. What do you do to keep them comfy? Is a temp of 70F too cold?
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:04 pm

70F should be fine. Our new place is 90% wood heat, which isn't a very stable temp for them, so mine have a thermostat-controlled electric heater in with them, set to 70. It's what we did at the last house, since that room wasn't centrally-heated either. On the other hand, I did have a few succumb to NSS right after the move, and it could just be the adjustment. I know there are definitely wildies here. My barn has a rat colony, and there are deer mouse droppings all over the shed we don't use. We haven't seen any in the house, yet, but I still don't trust it.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by tinyhartmouseries Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:57 pm

I have had two litters in the last day..but I had paired 5. I am unable to get my really important tan pairs to breed, it seems. tongue
tinyhartmouseries
tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Post by madmouse Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:21 pm

I don't find that temperature affects breeding much. The temp at my home is extremely hard to control, varying anywhere between 60 and 98 depending on the season. I see no difference in fertility or mortality (of either adults or babies) at either extreme. Of course I'm also using things like shredding clothes for bedding and small electric heaters in winter and frozen bricks and bowls of water in summer (bowls of water in addition to their bottled drinking water). I've seen wild mice trotting through the snow. I doubt they're as fragile as we think. Probably just coincidence that you've not had pregnancies, Mrs. B.

Laigaie: What is NSS?

madmouse
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:39 pm

NSS is new shed syndrome. Basically it's what happens when you take a group of mice acclimated to a certain specific area with its specific conditions (temp, humidity, light, local bacteria/virus/etc) and move them to a new place. Obviously the term originates from the British fancy where most mousers keep their stock in a shed. When moving the stock to a new shed, there's a certain expected mortality.

Also, I tend to see a decrease in breeding during the coldest and hottest months, and usually lose a few of the pet types to temp-related issues at both times as well. The bigger show types tend to do much better. Perhaps your efforts to balance their temps are sufficient, while mine are not?
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:56 pm

Funny, I've always been told:

When the weather is hot and sticky
That's no time for dunkin' dicky,
But when the frost is on the punkin,
THAT's the time for dicky dunkin'!

Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by madmouse Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:00 am

Laigaie: I don't mean to be ignorant, but yes, my efforts to balance temps at the hottest and coldest times of the year become a full time job. In winter my mouse heaters jack my electric bill up $40, in summer I'm changing my frozen bricks out every 6-8hrs. But then I have no real life, so I can afford to expend this sort of time and money on mice lol.

Mrs. Beach: What the heck is dicky dunkin'? Maybe it's just me, but that sounds inappropriate Happy

madmouse
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:14 pm

It's what bucks do to does. Spelled out in plain Anglo-Saxon, it probably is inappropriate.
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down