The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Escaped Mouse Dilemma

+16
LittleSniffs
Zia
Stina
lunalady
Rhasputin
snukb
moustress
rjduve
kawmice
Frizzle
Love2read
tinyhartmouseries
Mrs. Beach
thistlebrook
mouselover01
GypsyTails
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Escaped Mouse Dilemma - Page 2 Empty Re: Escaped Mouse Dilemma

Post by kawmice Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:42 am

Wow. He is a phantom isn't he. Lol
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:16 am

Yep, TPM for short!

Again, when I got home yesterday, the Havahart trap wasn't even sprung, but the lab block was gone. I know I have it set correctly too! Grrrrr! I think I will hot glue food onto the trigger..... bahahaha

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:05 pm

Dam! Lol
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:36 pm

Put little seeds and stuff on it he'll have to put a paw on the trigger plate to reach. If you have trouble setting the trap without spilling the seeds, put them on the trigger plate with a long iced tea spoon.
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://mrsbeachsbrindleempire.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rjduve Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:08 pm

You could put peanut butter as the base and stick pumpkin seeds in the peanut butter, thus delaying his escape too.

rjduve
Pinky
Pinky

http://www.thatsoneluckymouse.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:11 pm

Yesterday, I put small seed snacks via a long spoon. So, we'll see if that works. If not, I'll try peanut butter and seeds. At the moment, I have 3 traps down- a mouse cube with seeds, a Tom Cat live trap with peanut butter and a Havahart trap with various bait. He's driving me batty! I don't feel my mouse room is "clean" with him running around.

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Escaped Mouse Dilemma - Page 2 Empty meeces on the loose

Post by moustress Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:49 pm

You poor thing!

It took me years to learn how not to end up with meeces on the loose. It's such a bother!

Now I only have to deal with my own lack of discipline from time to time that results in meeces hitchhiking out of the tank on the undersides of screen tops or on water bottles. Those instances are examples of where I need to slow down and pay attention to what is where.

Then are times like last night; I put a plastic tank down in a spot that wan't the most secure, telling myslef 'only for aouple of seconds...*DAMN*... and it tipped letting Little Lady and her four overgrown babies onto the floor.

There I was, doing my cat imitation again. Down on all fours with a stick and a toob, corralling the little ones. they took about fifteen minutes to apprehend. LL just walked out between aome shelving and look up at me as if to say,"Here I am, you big dummy." And then she let me just scoop her up.

moustress
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:08 pm

Yeah, the adults aren't usually an issue. I can make kissy noises and some will come to me. It's the hoppers that escape usually. This particular escapee WAS a hopper. He's a bonafide feral PIA now.

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:46 pm

I had one of my pups escape a few weeks ago. He was a Hopper. I was so upset! Luckily he ran under my bedroom dresser and curled into a cat food can that I did not even know my cats knocked down. He just waited for me to collect him. So lucky!! My cats are not behaved when mice escape. Luckily I don't have many mice escape on me!! But things do happen.
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by snukb Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:19 pm

Here are some traps to try. All of them use items you probably have around your house, so they're free.

http://mousetrap.droehnland.net/

I've seen alternative methods with the "topple bottle" that use a TP or paper towel tube instead. I like those because unless you get to him right away, that would not be good for him to be stuck inside the tiny bottle. But with a TP tube he could chew out of the tube and get to some food you put in the tub to sustain him until you find him (something with moisture is probably best... even though experiments have shown mice can be deprived of water for 23 hours a day with no ill effects, I wouldn't trust it).

My favorite is probably the "soda bottle funnel" trap if you want something a little more solid.
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-build-a-diy-humane-mous-51742

Good luck!
snukb
snukb
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:21 pm

And now I think the little B*st*rd impregnated one of my Pied Ivory does who was in a "grow-out" bin I kept on the floor until I rearranged this past weekend! I usually only keep bucks on the lower levels/areas and the clean smelling does on top. She's Definitely preggo and I don't have wild mice or anyone missing.

Four types of traps down now: 3 humane and one snap trap but I'm about to add a second snap trap and get glue boards. I need to get someone to come down there with me to help flush him out in the open. I get a brief glimpse of him each day but he's proven quite the adversary. At least I don't have openings in walls and such. Sad

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Love2read Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:59 pm

What type of flooring do you have? If it's hard floor then you could try sprinkling down a bit of baking soda or flour at night. That might help you find his hideout.
Love2read
Love2read
Hopper
Hopper

http://www.justforfuzzies.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:29 am

The main mouse room and supply closet is carpeted. I look for wherever his hiding spot is and remove everything from that area, eliminating any cover he can hide behind. I'm sure the mice think I'm insane, running around on all fours and chasing a mouse with a yard stick. tongue

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:28 am

You could also try making him a really nice nest. Like, fill a cereal bo with shredded paper and food and fun stuff and maybe he'll get in it, and make a nest, and you can just pick up the bo with him in it in the morning and poof!

I dunno, it's worth trying anything at this point. Hissy fit
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by lunalady Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:47 pm

And the saga continues. Is this one of your bucks? Is he a good match to the pregnated doe? I have a suggestion. Since he is light on foot. His weight has lot to do with the glue traps. Trap the sticky traps the have for moths The are triangular and stickey on all sides. I do believe this will get him. Robin

lunalady
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:26 pm

Ugh. You are not going to believe this. I came home early and headed downstairs to feed The Horde. The Havahart trap was sprung AND empty. The peanut butter in the Tom Cat Live Trap was gone. The Mouse Cube Live Trap was empty of bait. AND THE PUMPKIN SEED BAIT WAS GONE FROM THE SNAP TRAP AND THE SNAP TRAP WASN'T EVEN SPRUNG! Talk about a light foot! I know it works because I nearly broke my finger setting it!

And he is NOT a good match for my little Pied Ivory doe. She had 7 fat squeakers today though. He is a pet-type PEW True Hairless Carrier. AND it looks like another doe in that cage is pregnant too. Sad

I rearranged the room a little so he couldn't steal food as easily from the lab bins, which is why I guess he raided all the traps for bait. So he is obviously being affected by the new arrangement. I left an empty but still dirty bin cage down on the floor with traps nearby. Hopefully he will smell the girls and the peanut butter and cheerio bait I used today. I really hope he gets trapped soon!

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lunalady Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:19 pm

try those moth traps. they are sticky all over. Not too deep either. get them at the hardware store. Robin

lunalady
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:00 pm

wow...... so sorry!! I cant believe he is so smart!! It would drve me crazy as well!! Once my two male rats got out of their cage. I found them the next day in the bad of seeds...... lol
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:16 pm

have you thought about a bucket trap (minus water)? ...maybe use a trash can so it has some good height so he can't jump out.

*WARNING* ....this search brings up some graphic photos!
https://www.google.com/search?q=bucket+mouse+trap&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=XjpaT9nGDee20AGMn62qDw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CAwQ_AUoAQ&biw=2025&bih=928

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:41 pm

wow...... good thing you put up that warning! Poor mice......

BUT....... the concept is a great idea! Of course minus the water.
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:26 pm

Yeah.....the water method makes for a HORRIBLE way to die.........but minus the water it should make an effective, and humane, trap

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:54 pm

Those poor mice! Thanks for the tip though. I have a spare bucket just sitting there too. Time to add another trap.....

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:11 am

good luck! Hopefully this one will catch him.
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Zia Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:15 am

I've read baiting those traps with apples is a good way to attract a wayward rodent. One site I had read at some point even suggested a rag that had been wetted with apple juice as a way for them to climb in.

Do you think he'll even be tame enough to keep when all this is over?
Zia
Zia
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:06 pm

I had an ASF go missing for 3 weeks, found him in a bag of bedding one day, first thing he did was lunge at me, but after that I just picked him up and he was fine. A bit dehydrated, and that's probably why he lunged, because he was scared (I didn't notice he was there at first, I just picked up the bag, and he was in it). So if an ASF was still tame after 3 weeks, hopefully a mouse would be. Hmm.
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next