The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New kids: didn't mean to take two!

2 posters

Go down

New kids: didn't mean to take two!  Empty New kids: didn't mean to take two!

Post by seafolly Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:53 pm

Just an update from your Canadian fancier. Wink

As many of you know it's a real struggle finding mice that are not PEW/black/poor agouti up here. So far I've bred two litters and they're all grown up and looking pretty great. Both litters have the same buck and I'm pleased with them considering the circumstances. The original pairing was 23 g and 30 g. The girls I've bred are all at least 35 g (bucks are culled).

I went through great lengths (Google the snowstorm in Toronto...imagine the chaos with the subway and buses!) to check out the only pet store in the city that I knew for sure had satin mice...in their feeder bin. I walked in intending to only buy a buck as although the first inbreeding went well, I get nervous about ruining my luck. While hunting out the "best" buck, a little fireball kept coming back to my hand while the others cowered.

New kids: didn't mean to take two!  EfodjTw

She's a mere 16 g. I suspect she's barely weaned although I'm only guessing here. I'm okay with mice being feeders but a creature so friendly didn't have a spot in a belly as far as I was concerned so I let her climb into my carrier. She's extremely kissy and affectionate...if I can get some weight on her I'd love to get her personality in my future babies. (obviously after a month or two of QT/beefing up) If she doesn't beef up she'll just be a lovely pet.

New kids: didn't mean to take two!  KhQ9nCA

So here's the buck. It was this or dove. Is he ce/ce? I highly doubt he's anything exotic so I'm merely assuming the most common gene combination in relation to his appearance. The other mice were argente, PEW, black, sooty RY, agouti, and dove. The other satins were much like him, pied coffee (I'm assuming that's what it is...?) as I think coffee and beige have the same ce/ce...
My youngest doe is 5 months old now (unsure if she's ce/c or ce/ce due to her satin coat) and would be matched with him.
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

New kids: didn't mean to take two!  Empty Re: New kids: didn't mean to take two!

Post by seafolly Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:57 pm

Well that mission failed. The buck is showing signs of anemia so I can't breed him. Sad I suppose I'll be shooting for an F3 with the foundation buck again.

The doe is doing wonderfully though. Packing on the weight, and her coat looks smooth and glossy now. She still seeks out my hand. <3 It baffles me how friendly mice can be when raised in a feeder tank and how some are so skittish despite being handled daily since birth.
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

New kids: didn't mean to take two!  Empty Re: New kids: didn't mean to take two!

Post by LittleSniffs Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:13 am

Aww that is a shame. They are both cute!
LittleSniffs
LittleSniffs
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum