The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HOW do I prevent mold from growing in my mealworms' oatmeal??

4 posters

Go down

HOW do I prevent mold from growing in my mealworms' oatmeal?? Empty HOW do I prevent mold from growing in my mealworms' oatmeal??

Post by Mrs. Beach Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:13 pm

I was putting cut vegetables in the oatmeal, but found mold was forming on and around them. I tried using only egg cartons and spritzing them with water every day, and just down I found mold forming in the oatmeal that was touching the egg cartons. I have switched to misting water on the inside of the bin lid. Is this going to work? What am I doing wrong and what is the right thing to do???????
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://mrsbeachsbrindleempire.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

HOW do I prevent mold from growing in my mealworms' oatmeal?? Empty Re: HOW do I prevent mold from growing in my mealworms' oatmeal??

Post by Frizzle Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:49 pm

Are you premixing the food? Why not cook everything seperate, and then add the carrots to your mix when it is feeding time. That way you can maybe keep it longer with out the oatmeal going funny. Or just do smaller batches that way it doesn't have a chance to go bad.
Frizzle
Frizzle
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

HOW do I prevent mold from growing in my mealworms' oatmeal?? Empty Re: HOW do I prevent mold from growing in my mealworms' oatmeal??

Post by Rhasputin Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:13 pm

I would stop spritzing them with water. When you give them veggies, it should be enough moisture to keep them happy.

Do they have enough ventilation?
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:49 pm

Um, Frizzle, there's no food to mix--just straight dry oatmeal, not cooked. Raw veggies, too.

Rhasputin, OK, less water. I've been told the more humid they are, the faster they grow, so I've been spritzing them every day. They're in a big sweater storage bin with holes drilled in the lid. Maybe I should drill more holes?
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhasputin Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:52 pm

I would drill as many holes as possible, or even cut the top out like for a mouse bin, and replace it with window screen. Happy
Rhasputin
Rhasputin
Adult
Adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:14 pm

if you have something with smooth sides, they cannot climb, nor can the beetles fly...so a lid isn't even necessary. When I had them I think I used like a flat lid (like a margarine tub lid) or something to put the veggies on so they weren't right in all the oatmeal.

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Frizzle Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:18 pm

I totally glazed over the *mealworm food* bit. Totally thought we were talking about mice, boy do I feel silly. : / Still, I like Stina's idea of separating the carrots from the oatmeal if they are the mold growers.
Frizzle
Frizzle
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:42 pm

Frizzle, that's funny! Now your comment makes sense to me.

Hm, I guess everything I've read has stressed how important it is to keep the mealworms' habitat humid. Perhaps the writers all lived in...non-tropical locations! Diplomats from other countries who get sent to Washington, DC, get tropical pay for the hardship of living in our climate. I guess between the climate and my spritzing I've overdone it.

Will drill more holes. Will spritz less. I have about 15 beetles in brand new oatmeal to lay eggs. They'd been in the oatmeal two weeks and I was just about to put it in a bin when it got all mouldy! Sheesh!

Hey, I read somewhere that I should cull all the beetles born with deformed wings because they won't lay strong eggs or something. Anybody know anything about this? Why do so many beetles have deformed wings, anyway? A good third of mine do.
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:47 pm

**shrug** I never misted or added any extra humidity....nor did I ever cull anything.

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:32 pm

Wow! Then I'm definitely over-humidifying! I left the lid half off the bin last night. Things are better...however, the beetles' environment is dry, dry, dry! They're in a small, separate container with lid and air holes. JUst this morning I put that container inside the mealworm bin to see if it would increase the humidity for the beetles.
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down