The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to keep mice "warm"

4 posters

Go down

How to keep mice "warm" Empty How to keep mice "warm"

Post by Eeyore10479 Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:48 pm

Sadly, I am in the path of Hurricane Sandy and I am very afraid we are going to lose our electricity. We lost it last year during the Halloween snow storm and the temp in the house was down to about 60 degrees. Luckily my sister had power, so we took the mice down there.

If you listen media, it sounds like Hurricane Sandy is going to wipe out the entire Northeast. If we lose our power, any ideas as to how to keep them warm enough? We have an aquarium and a wired top extension.

Thank you for any help!

Concerned

Eeyore10479
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

How to keep mice "warm" Empty Re: How to keep mice "warm"

Post by candycorn Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:03 pm

Mice handle the cold much better than heat. Just provide roommates and suggly stuff like tissue to make a nest with and they will be just fine even up to freezing temps...just make sure the water doesnt freeze.
candycorn
candycorn
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:14 pm

I agree: lots of nesting material will make a huge difference, as will keeping the water available. See if you can merge the mice into larger groups for more snuggly warmth.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Eeyore10479 Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:17 pm

Thank you so much! I am so worried about the storm, but I love my mice so much and I want to make sure they are safe! They have plenty of bedding and always have paper towel pieces and toilet paper rolls available for bed making!

Water is always available as well. I only have 2 mice, but they often sleep together and there are multiple places they can cuddle in their "house".

Thanks!

Eeyore10479
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:14 pm

You can also put their tanks on a thickish layer of folded newspaper to insulate them from cold, possibly metal shelving. When it gets very cold I drape a towel or blanket over half the cage to hold in warm air at that end. Some people even get those hand-warmer packs at drug stores for their mice, but don't put them inside their cage or they will chew and eat the stuff. Put it either under the cage at just one end so if it gets too hot they can get away from it, or against the side.
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://mrsbeachsbrindleempire.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down