The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Escaped Mouse Dilemma

+16
LittleSniffs
Zia
Stina
lunalady
Rhasputin
snukb
moustress
rjduve
kawmice
Frizzle
Love2read
tinyhartmouseries
Mrs. Beach
thistlebrook
mouselover01
GypsyTails
20 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Escaped Mouse Dilemma - Page 3 Empty Re: Escaped Mouse Dilemma

Post by GypsyTails Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:17 pm

I caught him last night!!!!! After he had already relieved the traps of the peanut butter and cheerio bait that is! I actually caught him with my bare hands after thwacking him once with my yard stick. I stunned him enough to corral him into the supply closet where there is only one way in and out. I put him in a travel bin, then put the travel bin in an aquarium with a lid on that. I was too tired to do anything else after chasing him around on all fours with a yard stick. Laughing

Zia, I don't know. My last escapee who was caught after being rogue for 3 weeks took a LONG time to tame, but he's right as rain now and actually one of my studs. This latest little bugger, who I've named SOB, looked up at me last night with these big ol' pink eyes, like "I can haz a cheerio?" When I have a hand, I'm going to see if I can get him in a proper cage. If he's too wild though, I will probably euthanize him. I just don't have the time or any spare does to help tame him if need be. (BTW, the way I socialized Rogue was giving him a lady friend!)

The doe he impregnated through the lid of her cage had 7 squeakers. All really nice and big, so I am keeping a few on. However, it seems he also impregnated 2 more in the same bin, my beloved Fuzzy girls!!!!! So now I have a PEW Fuzzy Satin and an Ivory Fuzzy Satin "with child" by a PEW TH Carrier. My poor girls! Their names are now The Virgin Mary, Saint Anne and Mary Magdalen. Culling them is out of the question (too important AND precious to me), so I will just be gradually culling their litters down as they have them so there is less chance of milk retention/infection.

If anyone wants a baby come RF, I will probably have a couple. Though with their combined lineage, I probably wouldn't use them for breeding unless you want anything Pied, Fuzzy, possible TH carrying, Chocolate carrying, Blue carrying, Splash hiding..... all in one! Laughing

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Frizzle Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:31 pm

Wow, he sure did get around. Congrats of catching him! I love those names btw, I grinned when I read them. : D
Frizzle
Frizzle
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by mouselover01 Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:13 pm

YAY You caught him!

I had an incident where a mom escaped and took all her babies with her. I didn't get them until they were weaned and by then it was too late for taming them. It would have taken me forever and I would have had a few bloody fingers. They were the most "wild" I've ever seen a rat.

I'm glad you FINALLY got him!
mouselover01
mouselover01
Co-founder / Admin
Co-founder / Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lunalady Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:47 pm

Congratulations. You rule. Pardon the pun. I have to say I am sorry the story is ending. But, you can update us with photos.

lunalady
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleSniffs Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:08 pm

So glad you got him and sorry about your girls, the names fit them well now tho! LOL
LittleSniffs
LittleSniffs
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:30 am

Glad you got him! Congrats! I am sorry about the girls though. And I do love the names! Lol.
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Escaped Mouse Dilemma - Page 3 Empty Congrats!

Post by renapopma Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:24 pm

Glad you got him!

We used a pet mouse cage all decked out with goodies the first time and he moved right in. For the second mouse we used tube tunnels attached with duct tape to a travel box filled with goodies. Yeah. Both boys liked being spoiled enough to give up their freedom. We have some live traps we could mail to anyone for future use. Just give us an address.
Rena at Aspen Mousery

renapopma
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:27 pm

More good news:

1) I transferred Sob to an aquarium. He's really jumpy but handleable enough to keep for now. Happy

2) The 3 ladies were NOT impregnated by Sob after all. I have another herm or oddly arranged genital mouse, now named Judas. **sigh** Sad

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:24 am

Glad to hear that the other Does are not pregnant by him. Happy And glad to hear that he is not a complete crazy, spaz feral mouse. Hopefully you will be able to tame him. Maybe your new Herm can keep him company? Happy
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Whurmy Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:41 am

Ohhh, my God this is the funniest thing I've read in a while. I'm sorry he wreaked so much havoc, but you have a fantastic sense of humor with it all. :')

I love what you've named him. :'D Definitely got some laughs outta this thread, and I'm glad he's safe. :3 And I hope you can keep him without him going karate mouse on you.
Whurmy
Whurmy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:53 am

Thanks!

I was SO relieved when I found the weird "balled" mouse in the bin with my girls. I had the 2 Fuzzy does reserved to be with my top Fuzzy buck, Voodoo, once the doe he is currently with started "showing". I still may get Fuzzies from the oopsie litters, just not all selfs like I would like.

The combination of the doe who already delivered and the "herm" isn't so bad though. I was going to put her in with my top Splash buck, but it's possible I'll get Ivory/Beige Pieds in standard and at least one Satin coat, by the looks of it, from her oopsie litter. They look really good so far. I am eagerly waiting for fur to see if I get my Pied Beiges!

I will also probably have a few extras who would be worth bringing up to PA for the fest! Happy Happy Happy

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:04 am

That is always a plus! Having extras for the fest is a good thing. Happy
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by GypsyTails Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:07 am

Pretty Reverse Siamese, even Pieds, is a good thing for my goals!

GypsyTails
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by jturner Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:23 pm

I'm heartbroken. I came home from work today and found my new mouse (I got him last Friday from Christina) gone! I'm going to pick up a small Have-a-Heart trap this evening. Is there any kind of food that mice can't resist I can use for bait?
I've left his cage open. I miss him.
jturner
jturner
jturner
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Dog kibble or peanut butter are pretty irresistible.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:45 am

Seed mix, Cheerios. Depends on what his favorites were. I agree that peanut butter is irresistable to mice.
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://mrsbeachsbrindleempire.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jturner Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:05 am

Yay! We got our mouse. Our dog found him under the refrigerator. We lured him out with peanut butter and a tiny piece of cheese. Anybody have information about escape-proof cages?
jturner
jturner
jturner
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Beach Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:56 pm

Aquariums with overlapping mesh lids. It is so easy to leave the door of a wire cage open. If you are worried about his pushing the lid up and escaping, you can always put something heavy on it, or use lid clips.
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://mrsbeachsbrindleempire.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3