The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pictures of your RUB cages?

4 posters

Go down

Pictures of your RUB cages? Empty Pictures of your RUB cages?

Post by NoaDaKiwi Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:56 pm

Sorry if this is in the wrong section!
I'm getting my trio of mice a 64 liter RUB and was trying to find pictures of members' RUB cages, but I couldn't find any. Would anyone like to share their pictures with me? What size bin did you use? What size mesh did you use and where (sides or top)? How did you attach a water bottle? Would a bottle holder work?

NoaDaKiwi
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Pictures of your RUB cages? Empty Re: Pictures of your RUB cages?

Post by Anktian Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:09 pm

I've only made a handful of these so far, so I'm by no means an expert. I haven't tested mine out on mice yet, but my Chinese Dwarf hamsters seem to be situating just fine into them. I hope this helps!

Really Useful brand is not readily accessible to me, so I've gone with another brand that is similar. Regardless, it accomplishes the same thing. Please note that this is the first one my fiance and I put together, so it's a bit rough in places. We've gotten better as we've gone along (figured out easier, better methods, aha). I just don't have any updated photos of the newer ones yet.

This bin is small. It's a 29.3 liter (fairly tall, as you may or may not be able to tell from the photo), but it's only used to house two tiny Chinese Dwarf hamsters so it works fine for them. I have some larger ones that I'm working on converting over, but they're not finished yet to share photos of.

For the mesh, I went with 1/4" x 1/4" since I couldn't fit a pencil through it. Someone once told me that if I could get a pencil through, it was probably too spaced for a young mouse and they might escape. I've not been willing to test otherwise, aha. Happy

I put mesh on the lid and on both sides. Just a personal preference. We used a dremel to cut out the squares.

I didn't have the bottle holders (the ones that attach to wire), so Eric and I just bent some wire to serve the same purpose. The tip of the water bottle wouldn't fit through the hole, so in that /one/ area, I did force a pencil through. It gives just enough room for the tip to enter into the cage. I have seen others drill a hole for it, but I was afraid that might encourage my hamsters to chew a larger hole and thus make the box unusable.

To hold the mesh in place, Eric and I chose to go with zip ties since they're cheap and easily replaced should the mice/hamsters choose to chew them. Happy

Anyhow, here's the photo. If you would like additional photos of something, just ask and I will see what I can do.

Pictures of your RUB cages? Mr4hvt
Anktian
Anktian
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

http://www.backwoodsrodentry.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by NoaDaKiwi Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:56 pm

Anktian wrote:I've only made a handful of these so far, so I'm by no means an expert. I haven't tested mine out on mice yet, but my Chinese Dwarf hamsters seem to be situating just fine into them. I hope this helps!

Really Useful brand is not readily accessible to me, so I've gone with another brand that is similar. Regardless, it accomplishes the same thing. Please note that this is the first one my fiance and I put together, so it's a bit rough in places. We've gotten better as we've gone along (figured out easier, better methods, aha). I just don't have any updated photos of the newer ones yet.

This bin is small. It's a 29.3 liter (fairly tall, as you may or may not be able to tell from the photo), but it's only used to house two tiny Chinese Dwarf hamsters so it works fine for them. I have some larger ones that I'm working on converting over, but they're not finished yet to share photos of.

For the mesh, I went with 1/4" x 1/4" since I couldn't fit a pencil through it. Someone once told me that if I could get a pencil through, it was probably too spaced for a young mouse and they might escape. I've not been willing to test otherwise, aha. Happy

I put mesh on the lid and on both sides. Just a personal preference. We used a dremel to cut out the squares.

I didn't have the bottle holders (the ones that attach to wire), so Eric and I just bent some wire to serve the same purpose. The tip of the water bottle wouldn't fit through the hole, so in that /one/ area, I did force a pencil through. It gives just enough room for the tip to enter into the cage. I have seen others drill a hole for it, but I was afraid that might encourage my hamsters to chew a larger hole and thus make the box unusable.

To hold the mesh in place, Eric and I chose to go with zip ties since they're cheap and easily replaced should the mice/hamsters choose to chew them. Happy

Anyhow, here's the photo. If you would like additional photos of something, just ask and I will see what I can do.

Pictures of your RUB cages? Mr4hvt
I'm really sorry if this comes off as rude, but that cage is far too small for a hamster let alone two. One hamster needs a bare minimum of 360 square inches of floorspace (levels and height don't count). It doesn't matter what species of hamster or their size. Again, sorry if this comes off as rude. I really appreciate your help! Happy

NoaDaKiwi
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by lunalady Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:25 pm

Whew u did come off extremely rude:twisted:

lunalady
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by lunalady Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:27 pm

Just a note, u need to put the wire inside the cage for mice. They will chew and be gone.

lunalady
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Anktian Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:07 am

NoaDaKiwi wrote:I'm really sorry if this comes off as rude, but that cage is far too small for a hamster let alone two. One hamster needs a bare minimum of 360 square inches of floorspace (levels and height don't count). It doesn't matter what species of hamster or their size. Again, sorry if this comes off as rude. I really appreciate your help! Happy

You didn't come off as rude. To be honest, I really appreciate the input! I have been having a hard time finding someone to give me opinions/input/guidance. Like I said, it's the first one we made. I've only bought the few small ones (figured if we were going to mess up one, I'd rather it be a smaller once since they're cheaper to replace). I have seen photos of other people using small ones like this for hamsters, so I figured it would be okay. They've only been in it for four days and, to be honest, Eric and I were just talking last night about how it felt too small. ^^

Once we get the larger ones done, we had planned on moving them over. We're talking about using this one (and the two other small ones we bought) as transportation totes. Happy

lunalady wrote:Just a note, u need to put the wire inside the cage for mice. They will chew and be gone.

Really? I've seen a lot of them with the wire on the outside, but that's definitely good to know! Glad we haven't got the mesh put on the larger ones yet... just the holes cut. Big smile
Anktian
Anktian
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

http://www.backwoodsrodentry.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by lunalady Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:52 am

You might want to put the ? Out there. But, I do believe that is right. I have wrong. Happy. Ask on a different forum topic

lunalady
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by NoaDaKiwi Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:23 pm

Anktian wrote:
NoaDaKiwi wrote:I'm really sorry if this comes off as rude, but that cage is far too small for a hamster let alone two. One hamster needs a bare minimum of 360 square inches of floorspace (levels and height don't count). It doesn't matter what species of hamster or their size. Again, sorry if this comes off as rude. I really appreciate your help! Happy

You didn't come off as rude. To be honest, I really appreciate the input! I have been having a hard time finding someone to give me opinions/input/guidance. Like I said, it's the first one we made. I've only bought the few small ones (figured if we were going to mess up one, I'd rather it be a smaller once since they're cheaper to replace). I have seen photos of other people using small ones like this for hamsters, so I figured it would be okay. They've only been in it for four days and, to be honest, Eric and I were just talking last night about how it felt too small. ^^

Once we get the larger ones done, we had planned on moving them over. We're talking about using this one (and the two other small ones we bought) as transportation totes. Happy

lunalady wrote:Just a note, u need to put the wire inside the cage for mice. They will chew and be gone.

Really? I've seen a lot of them with the wire on the outside, but that's definitely good to know! Glad we haven't got the mesh put on the larger ones yet... just the holes cut. Big smile
I am so very happy you took it as intended! Maybe we can help each other! I can help you with hamster care and you can help me with mouse care! Happy
I need to get some 1/4" mesh since I ended up buying 1/2" and making the bin cage a few days after my original post, and I'll put it on the inside and outside. Thanks again!

NoaDaKiwi
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by [Dino] Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:13 am

Pictures of your RUB cages? Foto-VDO7NVS3-D

Pictures of your RUB cages? Foto-N84TJ3RZ-D

[Dino]
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

http://dino-s-wonderful-creatures.webnode.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by NoaDaKiwi Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:30 pm

[Dino] wrote:Pictures of your RUB cages? Foto-VDO7NVS3-D

Pictures of your RUB cages? Foto-N84TJ3RZ-D
Thank you for the pictures! :3

NoaDaKiwi
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down