The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Mousely Chronicles

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Mousely Chronicles Empty The Mousely Chronicles

Post by Whurmy Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:45 am

I've been thinking about starting a blog/journal like thing, talking about getting my first mouse, all of the ups and downs of learning how to handle and bond with a mouse, and just talking about being a first time mouse mommy.

The Mousely Chronicles exists so I can get advice and help others learn from my mistakes. And this post shall be the first entry! :3

So a breeder posted a brindle litter on Craigslist. We've been talking back and forth for a few days and today I finally got a picture of the boy I'm getting. Big smile

The Mousely Chronicles Dep4di

I adjusted the contrast so he didn't look so blurry. I don't think his colors are really that rich.

Apparently all the babies are boys. :O Which sounds kinda weird to me, to be honest. I'll be double checking for nipples before I bring him home. The breeder said they all look pretty much the same, but I said I really want the one in the picture, so he's setting him up in his own tank in the morning. :3 It is midnight here, so. :')

The breeder is in Carlisle, which is much closer than the breeder I was talking to, and I have family I need to visit there, so it works out. Big smile I can stop by and see my nephew then pick my mouse up on the way home. Big smile

His tank isn't set up yet, but I do have a small, growing collection of toilet paper rolls and a custom built mouse house, constructed of top quality, durable popsicle sticks and super strong Elmer's glue. tongue I'm sure it'll hold up in an earthquake.

The Mousely Chronicles 2hwll7b

It's a one bedroom walk-up with a balcony. Wink

We also painted my bedroom! :3 The window is open during the day, so the faint smell of paint should be gone by the time I bring my boy home. (Around the fourth of April.) It's a wreck in here right now, my TV isn't even set up right now. My bookshelf, the top of which my buck will be happily residing, is currently being painted to match. It was a blinding pale-ish yellow. x_x Which didn't look too bad in my purple and blue room, but it was starting to look like a candy store in here. So my mom is painting the bookshelf a pale pinkishpurple. :3

Also, one of the drawers in my dresser is completely devoted to mouse supplies. :3 Which, for right now, just has the house and TP rolls. :x But everything will be all set up before I bring him home.

He'll be in a 10 gallon tank. I wanted to keep him in a cage so he could climb, but he'll still be pretty young when I get him, and he'll be able to squeeze through a good cage. He probably couldn't get out of a Critter Trail very easily, but I'd never get him one. I have to go to a fabric store or something to get mesh for his tank lid. My mom said the fabric store will have it. I was thinking home depot. They're right next to each other, so either way. I'm gonna get him a little hammock thing. :3 His cage is gonna be mousie nirvana. Heaven sounded like he was dead. And I think nirvana is the same thing as heaven. But it sounds gentler.

I just ordered him a flying saucer wheel online. :3 I do art commissions in my free time to earn a little spending money. Basically people pay me to draw for them, if you didn't know what I meant. ^^; But chyeah. The pet stores near me don't have the proper size, so I had to do a commission to afford it. :3

BUT ANYWAYS. My mouse is coming home in two weeks. Big smile When the bookshelf is painted and dry, I'll put it in the proper place in my bedroom and take a picture to show where he'll be. I'll take another picture when his tank is all set up and ready for him to come home, and I'll try take a picture of him the day he comes home, but I don't wanna stress him out, so we'll see.

Keep checking back for more of The Mousely Chronicles. Wink

Also, feel free to and please do comment on anything you wish, whether it be advice, swooning over his cuteness, or just sharing your own stories, I'd love to hear anything and everything you have to say. :3
Whurmy
Whurmy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

The Mousely Chronicles Empty Re: The Mousely Chronicles

Post by Whurmy Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:44 pm

None of you guys have said anything yet, but that's okay. Happy If I talk to myself enough, someone will say something. tongue

So today I blew my money. Happy Spent $13 on a tank and $10 on a wire lid. At Petco, a ten gallon with a lid was 35. I don't even understand that. BUT! My room is painted and everything is set up so I can show you guys where Bernard will be staying! Big smile

The Mousely Chronicles Mouse_10

I know it's bright. :x The blinds are open. It's lovely out. I wore a dress today, it was so nice out. I don't wear dresses. But the blinds will be shut almost all the time when I get Bernard. Happy

The lamp is on there, as well as a glass turtle candle holder, because we have cats and the lid is pretty easy to get off, so I had to weight it down a bit. Still gonna keep an eye on it constantly, but we decided that wasn't good enough and I can't keep my eye on it every second, so a little extra reinforcement is needed. Happy

All in all, he's gonna love it in there. I'm gonna buy a little hammock for him and hang it from the lid. Happy

11-12 days til I bring him home! Big smile We'll be buying the bedding and everything the day before we pick him up. Happy
Whurmy
Whurmy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:00 pm

Congrats!! He is a cutie and I LOVE the name!! I also like the color of your walls and shelf. lol My bedroom is a liliac color. lol

Seems like he will be a very happy, spoiled mouse. Happy And I have a suggestion since I have cats. Get some duct tape and tape the lid on the tank. Yes, it is a hassle to untape the top everytime you want to get into the tank, but it is worth it whe you find your cats sleeping on the lid. It is a good piece of mind knowing your little guy will be safe. Happy
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by Whurmy Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:33 am

Thank you, Kawmice! Big smile I see you around so much. He is adorable, isn't he? Big smile I gave him such a dorky name. :') But it fits somehow.

My bedroom looks like cotton candy. Two walls are blue, two walls are pinkish purple. Mostly purple. And the shelf is just a bit lighter than my walls. Big smile

Duct tape will definitely be a pain. Upset I'll have him outta the tank constantly, so I don't know if it will even be worth it to use duct tape. I think I'll just keep the lamp and candle holder on there. They're pretty heavy. :3 And I'll always be in my room watching them, and when I'm not here in, they will be out and the door will be shut. Happy I read about clips, so I'll check those out. I dunno how they'd work though. >.>
Whurmy
Whurmy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:36 pm

You are welcome! I try to be active in the mouse community. Surprised

I think the name suits him and it is not a dorky name. lol Reminds me of Bermard from "The Santa Claus" movie. He was a great elf character and I liked him. I the name is a good one. Happy lol
Just be sure to post pictures of him when you bring him home.

The clips may work. I use them for my reptile tanks. As long as they fit tightly they would be great. Happy
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Whurmy Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:09 pm

You're doing a good job. :')

Well yay! Big smile OH DUDE. I know him! :') I loved him. :') I'll definitely post pictures when he comes home. Big smile I just hope the glass isn't too reflective. :C I'll probably lay something over the mesh of the lid and put him up there for a minute to take a picture of him.

I'll be sure to look at some the next time I'm out. Big smile
Whurmy
Whurmy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:15 am

Thanks!!

and yea, I like that movie. Happy

Pictures are best taken from above if in a glass tank. It would be best to get some nice pics of him in your hand or against a nice solid color background. lol

Let me know how the clips work if you get them. I use the duct tape. lol
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by snukb Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:51 pm

If you shop at Petco a lot, I have one thing to say: wait till summer or winter to buy a tank. A couple times a year they do a big "dollar per gallon" sale and the tanks 10g and above go on sale for, well, a dollar a gallon. So a 10g is $10, and a 40g (which is normally more than $100) is only $40.

I know you already bought your tank, BUT if you ever plan on upgrading or need to stock up on tanks... keep a look out for that.
snukb
snukb
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Whurmy Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:08 pm

:O Thank you, Snukb! I will keep that in mind! Big smile I got my 10g for $13. :3
Whurmy
Whurmy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by lunalady Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:17 pm

Hey Whurmy, I have been reading your post. I am enjoying it. It is like reading a book. Sorry, I do not I should talk. I was listening. Robin

lunalady
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Whurmy Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:12 pm

Aww, thank you, Robin. :3 Please, feel free to comment on whatever you like! Happy

So, Bernard is coming home in a week. He's getting to be a big boy and he's just getting prettier. < 3 You guys don't get pictures til he's home though. tongue JUST A WEEK LEFT. Big smile So excited. :3
Whurmy
Whurmy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by lunalady Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:42 pm

Will be reading. And waiting. And maybe some talking. Happy

lunalady
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenni Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:31 am

Can't wait to see him in his new home. You made him a great house!

Jenni
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Whurmy Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:21 pm

Look forward to it, Luna! Big smile
Aww, thank you, Jenni! :3 I can't wait, either.

Also, I've decided to not torture you guys any longer. :x

The Mousely Chronicles 35jwac7

I just got this picture of him about two days ago. Big smile He's getting so big! <3 Just five more days til he comes home! Big smile

His flying saucer wheel got here yesterday, too. It's a little bit bigger than I planned on, so both of his houses and his wheel don't really fit in there. This is what I've come up with. Happy

The Mousely Chronicles Mouse_11

Again, the bedding and everything won't be bought until the day before he comes home. (The third of April.)

The TP tube from the popsicle house leads into the kleenex box house. :3 There's also a TP roll under the ladder, as well. Mice like things crowded, no? Happy While I don't like how little I"ll be able to see him for a while, I know the more crowded it is, the safer he'll feel. Happy I can clear it up a bit once he's comfortable with and trusts me.

I'm also getting him a ferret hammock! Big smile To take care of his climbing needs. And just because they're really cute. His tank is gonna be a wreck. :'D

His food dish will go in the corner next to his wheel, and his waterbottle will go between the ladder and the wheel. :3 I just need to figure out how to hang it in a tank. :x
Whurmy
Whurmy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:31 pm

He is a looker! Happy
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by lunalady Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:49 pm

I don't use food dishes. I put 2 piles of food in different places. Mice love to forage. It also gives you more space. Mice had very deep bedding the have tunnels and passageways all thru the stuff. They are too funny.

lunalady
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Whurmy Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:29 pm

Aww, that must be real fun for them, Luna! Big smile That's so cute. I can't wait to watch him dig through a bunch a bedding. Gah, I'm so excited!

And thank you, Kawmice! Big smile I think he's just so so pretty.
Whurmy
Whurmy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Whurmy Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:57 pm

So my sister's pregnant and her baby is due in September. Obviously, she'll wanna get away from him some nights, so me and my mom are making room for a basinet and everything for when the baby spends the night here. The plan was for the basinet to be in my room.

My sister won't let the baby sleep in here because I have a mouse in here. :/
Whurmy
Whurmy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:27 am

Wow..... so sorry. Some people are very phopic of rodents. That or she is just being a protective mommy.
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by lunalady Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:01 am

Gee, It's tough when people just don't understand. Well, at least she is letting the baby stay in the same house.

lunalady
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Whurmy Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:36 am

Ha! We talked her into it. :3 Well, really, I got passive aggressive and my mom called her crazy. >.> Whatever, all is good now. Happy She even called Bernard cute...

Speaking of Bernard...

Something happened with the breeder and I'm picking him up today. Which is inconvenient, as I can't go supply shopping for two more days, but the breeder's giving me some food and a waterbottle with Bernard, all for free, since this is pretty inconvenient for both of us and he understands.

I guess I'll just be using shredded paper and TP and papertowels until payday rolls around. Happy
Whurmy
Whurmy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by lunalady Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:45 am

Bernard will be delighted.

lunalady
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Whurmy Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:54 am

I hope so! Big smile I can't wait for three o'clock, when we pick him up. Big smile
Whurmy
Whurmy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:20 am

Happy you will do just fine!
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by lunalady Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:15 pm

Whurmy you are too cute. It is nice to hear someone sooo excited to get their new baby. Guess what, that feeling never ends Happy

lunalady
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next