The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Biter? Rat with Problems?

+7
Laigaie
doganddisc
thistlebrook
kawmice
seafolly
Stina
tinyhartmouseries
11 posters

Go down

Biter? Rat with Problems? Empty Biter? Rat with Problems?

Post by tinyhartmouseries Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:23 am

I adopted a rat that just seems so vicious. I can barely open the cage to clean or even feed or I will get chased and bitten. Even when I change the water bottle, she goes between the bars to bite. I got two new babies to keep her company and she will barely allow me to interact with them. Sad I am so upset.
I am not new to taming rats, I've tamed a few ferals before but no one has deliberately come up to me to bite me for something as mundane as opening the cage door. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to punish this rat at all but this is intensely frustrating.
tinyhartmouseries
tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Biter? Rat with Problems? Empty Re: Biter? Rat with Problems?

Post by Stina Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:31 am

I'm not personally experienced rats like this, but I've heard of it. From what I've heard its nigh on impossible to tame them and most who've dealt with rats like that have pretty much let them be and avoided handling them as much as possible or euthanized them.

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:41 am

I've only had one like this and he ended up being rather ill as I found him dead in his cage a few weeks later (he was just a teenager!). What happens if you use thick gloves, like for gardening? Does she only attack through the bars or will she go after you when when being held? My thinking is she just needs some intense handling time, like hanging out in a hoodie that you're wearing. But that's if this is a cage/bar thing. I have had a few biters that were simply over eager to get at what they thought was food coming through the bars. If my hand was in the cage they wouldn't ever nip.
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:55 am

I've had some that nipped through bars...but this doesn't sound like that situation....she said it attacks when she tries to open the cage to feed and clean. A lot of times rats like this are either sick or raised badly. If you compare to other species, dogs that are like this usually can't be rehabilitated and end up having to be euthanized. With rats its obviously not as dangerous to people.......but its likely the animal is highly stressed by human interaction...and attempts to tame it will likely just be even more stressful to it...I would probably euthanize if it were me.

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by tinyhartmouseries Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:46 am

No, it's not the food thing...it's anytime I get in there or near to do anything, really. When I wear glove and get her out, she's happy as a clam to sit in my lap...no major biting. It may be a territory thing or she could be blind. I don't really think I will put her down if she just wants to hang out that's fine with me. I have the sweet babies and they are starting to come to me, so she shouldn't be gettin in the way too much more. It's extremely annoying but I fear that she was a feeder with too much free-breeding to really control temperment. It's a shame!!!
tinyhartmouseries
tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Post by kawmice Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:32 am

Wow..... so sorry.

I had a Rat named Charlie. He came to the petstore where I worked in Colorado with a bad leg injury. We paid to get his leg amputated but he was ultimately destined to return to the feeder bin. I could not see that, especially after paying for his surgery and recovery meds, ect. I adopted him. The second day home he became extreamly aggressive. He would lunge, bite, and hold on. He was not happy unless he drew blood. Even as I passed his cage he would grab at me. I couldn't feed him without getting injured. I used heavy towels to pin him while feeding him and heavy gloves to go anywhere near him. He soon learned how to get around the towel and draw blood. I actually was going to have himj euthanized but my friend wanted him instead. She was also a vet tech so I knew he was going to a good home. I have no clue what became of Charlie. He is long and dead by now, but I do hope he learned to love and trust again.
kawmice
kawmice
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://www.kaworld.net/mousery/mousery.html - UNDER REMODELING

Back to top Go down

Post by Stina Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:24 am

No, it's not the food thing...it's anytime I get in there or near to do anything, really. When I wear glove and get her out, she's happy as a clam to sit in my lap...no major biting.
Interesting...sounds like she's overly territorial. At least she is happy once you've got her out

Stina
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by thistlebrook Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:04 pm

That sucks Emma. No advice to give really. I'm afraid I probably wouldn't keep a rat who wanted to bite me often. Concerned Really is a shame.
thistlebrook
thistlebrook
Hopper
Hopper

http://tbr.thistlebrook.net

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:27 pm

If it's territorial, would hand feeding her help? Make it so that the only time she eats is out of your hand. Get her used to the idea that you are the giver of food- you aren't taking anything from her, only giving.
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

http://www.ctpetsitter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tinyhartmouseries Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:45 pm

Well, this rat is still with me, but I am wondering for how long. She is increasingly starting to attack the babies for being on the floor of the new, giant cage. The babies are small and skinny, and I suspect she is attacking them for trying to eat. They squeak and shriek often as she pins them.

I don't know what to do. I am not one to euthanize a healthy animal, but the little babies don't deserve this at all.
tinyhartmouseries
tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Post by doganddisc Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:55 pm

IMHO, an aggressive animal is not a healthy/happy animal. I would euthanize.
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

http://www.ctpetsitter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:06 pm

I'm with doganddisc: an aggressive animal, particularly a normally social animal being aggressive with others of its kind, is not a happy/healthy animal.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by candycorn Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:59 pm

It may also be a manifistation of pain. I would put it down asap. At the very least seperate it from the young ones.
candycorn
candycorn
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by tinyhartmouseries Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:16 am

I got her out with gloves and she's still acting fine and sweet outside the cage. I think she is hyper-territorial. I won't put her down ASAP, this is just frustrating. I've worked with troubled rats before, this is just such a challenge.
tinyhartmouseries
tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Post by thewesterngate Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:24 am

If anything, make her a solo rat. The babies deserve a calm environment, and maybe she's just an oddball that wants to be alone?
thewesterngate
thewesterngate
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/PoeM-Reptiles/118568558264968

Back to top Go down

Post by Teramis Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:59 pm

Tinyhart, I'm sorry to hear about this. What a frustrating situation! How are things going now that a week has passed since you posted this?

Is it possible to eventually put her in with another older (tame!) rat as a companion, one she couldn't as easily bully as the little ones? Or do you not have that many rats on hand right now?

Teramis
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by tinyhartmouseries Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:46 am

I've got just the three females right now, I may get another eventually. She is still fine out of cage...
tinyhartmouseries
tinyhartmouseries

Back to top Go down

Post by Frizzle Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:01 am

Does she interact fine with the youngins outside the cage? If it is a case where you can just open the cage and let her out, then you could let her free roam when you need to clean/feed/water.

One of my rats, Ben, became rather aggressive starting with an incident where he launched himself the full length of a couch and gave my boyfriend a VERY nasty bite. And bit another male friend who was babysitting him for me (though I don't know the situation). It made me scared of him which which I'm pretty sure he could sense, and so I gave him to a friend who'd gotten along great with him in the past. Within 24 hrs he'd drawn blood three times, and that was the end of that rat.

Of Ben's brothers, Dr. Z nipped a different friend who hadn't washed his hands very well after eating, the friend thought it would be a great idea to pick up the ruffled rat, and then he REALLY got bit. Snatch bit me for a similar food hands offense, but the spray bottle was near me, so there hasn't been a repeat. Snatch also bit my female friends foot, but I'm pretty sure it's because it was stinky and he confused it for tastyness. He's a very food motivated rat.
Frizzle
Frizzle
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by seafolly Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:48 pm

Yikes. Sad I agree that she probably needs to be a solo rat. It likely won't help YOU when trying to clean her cage but if she's fine and sweet outside the cage I'd have a really hard time euthanizing her. I guess another option is housing her with a neutered male who could stand up for himself but some rats, I believe, are just happier alone.
seafolly
seafolly
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down