The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preferences in males over females?

4 posters

Go down

Preferences in males over females? Empty Preferences in males over females?

Post by bcluv Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:22 pm

I have done some reading on the differences between male and female rats as pets. One of the things I have read is that males tend to be more mellow once they get a bit older and are more likely to just hang out in your lap than wander about. I have read that females are more active and will tend to wander more than males. The other aspect I found about males is references to "marking" from them.

Soooo, I am wondering if anyone wouldn't mind chiming in as to what your preferences are in this area and why. Also did you experience specifically anything I've mentioned and are there other aspects to consider.

Any other information you'd like to share will be greatly appreciated!

bcluv
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Preferences in males over females? Empty Re: Preferences in males over females?

Post by doganddisc Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:32 pm

I highly prefer males- having owned both now. I had a pair of females a few years ago and found them to be obnoxious active compared to the males.

That and I am heavily biased toward anything of the male sex in animals tongue
doganddisc
doganddisc
Adult
Adult

http://www.ctpetsitter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Frizzle Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:54 pm

I have males and comparing them to their sisters that a friend has, I much prefer them. I would use the analogy of dogs vs. cats. My males are very people focused and will leave their awesome hidey spot from under the dresser when I make baby noises at them and offer them a treat. They like to sit on my shoulder and if anyone new enters the room, they follow their feet. They do however, pee constantly. One of my boys, Snatch, especially likes to pee on my phone and computer mouse, I think it has to do with the raised surface. Several of my boys have bitten people before as well, but it all had to do with people not washing their hands after eating and smelling delicious.

This sisters... Are not my cup of tea. They are very independent, active, and are not people focused except for the initial "I'm going to use your arm to escape the cage!" They are a pain to gather up and put back in their cage (with the exception of one), and while I would trust my boys not to get into too much trouble, the girls worry me that they have started to dig a tunnel using spoons. Girls don't pee everywhere though, and my friend has never mentioned about his rats biting anyone.
Frizzle
Frizzle
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post by thistlebrook Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:58 pm

I agree that the male rat stereotype is usually spot on. In my experience after a certain age my males have been lazy loungers, while my females have always stayed busy. The marking is excessive and gross. You get used to it but it's still not pleasant. Wink I have had two super sweet girls who although busy, were absolute loves. If I weren't breeding I would probably only keep males.
thistlebrook
thistlebrook
Hopper
Hopper

http://tbr.thistlebrook.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bcluv Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:27 am

Thanx for the input everyone! It solidifies my idea that males are a better fit for my family. I have two boys, ages 9 and 11 and I was thinking that males would be easier for them to interact with. Plus allowing them to hang out when I'm doing homework is going to be easier if they are sticking around too. It seems like the cons to males are fairly small and the pros are outweighing them pretty much.

bcluv
Pinky
Pinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down