The Mouse Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tiny yellowish pinkies?

3 posters

Go down

Tiny yellowish pinkies? Empty Tiny yellowish pinkies?

Post by madmouse Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:52 pm

One of my does had a litter of 14 last night.  Eight of the babies were a regular color, weighing 2.1-2.4g.  The other six were a strange pale yellowish color.  Four of the yellowish ones were only 1.2-1.6g, the other two yellowish ones were 2g.  All 14 babies were vigorous and had decent milk bellies.  Could this be anemia or jaundice?  The parents were completely unrelated and there's no chance that they had a lethal gene combination like W/W.  Any idea what caused this?

Tiny yellowish pinkies? Yellow10

madmouse
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Tiny yellowish pinkies? Empty Re: Tiny yellowish pinkies?

Post by Mrs. Beach Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:47 pm

No. (Yick.) If I hadn't seen the pic I would have said I'd heard that eumelanin produces larger mice than phaeomelanin and that possibly the larger ones were black-based and the yellowish ones were e/e or A^vy or something. Will you let some of the yellowish ones grow up?
Mrs. Beach
Mrs. Beach
Show Mouse
Show Mouse

http://mrsbeachsbrindleempire.tripod.com

Back to top Go down

Post by madmouse Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:47 pm

I did try to let one of the yellowish ones grow up. On FMB two folks had suggested that I had anemic babies but they didn't look anemic bc they were so newly born. I picked the largest yellow one to survive, but by the next day it had become a pinkish-white color and was visibly losing weight, which is apparently what you would see in an anemic pinkie. I think perhaps they are right in saying that its anemia, either way, I don't believe these were viable babies Sad

madmouse
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Laigaie Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:37 pm

Jaundice with anemia can mean a specific type of anemia, wherein not only are the blood cells not being generated properly, but they are breaking down in the blood. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemolytic_anemia Supplementation would not help such a case, as there is sufficient iron. It's just that the body itself refuses to accept the blood cells.
Laigaie
Laigaie
Hopper
Hopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down